Feb 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The Nuggets need a point guard.
Trying to plug along without those three, the Nuggets have, predictably, fared poorly. Their season net rating, according to nbawowy, is –1.5. Without any of those three point guards, it’s –21.9.*
*Surprisingly, Denver’s offensive rating is a little better (109.0 to 112.2). The defensive rating takes a huge hit (110.5 to 134.1).
One solution could be bring Miller, who clashed with coach Brian Shaw, back into the mix.
Facing a difficult trade market and a glaring hole at the point guard position, Nuggets officials worked out the banished Andre Miller this week and are considering bringing him back, league sources told CBSSports.com.
Miller hasn’t played since Dec. 30 following a public confrontation with coach Brian Shaw. Despite concerns about the 37-year-old’s tendency to put on weight, Miller has lost 12 pounds since being banished from the team, one league source said.
Miller has been working out daily at the Nuggets practice facility, mostly at night away from the team. Nuggets general manager Tim Connelly has attended some of those workouts.
“The vibe is delusional,” the source said. “It’s a burned bridge. No reconciliation. He’s waiting by the door with his bag already packed. The relationship is irreparable. Under no circumstances does he want to come back to Denver.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The 24-27 Nuggets are six games and two teams outside eighth place in the Western Conference. The playoffs are a significant longshot.
At this point, is Miller – regardless of who’s at fault – worth the headache?
Trading him won’t be easy, either. He has one more year remaining on his contract at $4,625,000, though only $2 million of that is guaranteed. A few teams could use a backup point guard, but that’s a reasonably high expense for a 37-year-old who hasn’t played in weeks.
The Nuggets are stuck between a rock and a hard place with no easy way to handle Miller – though if he’s completely against returning, that would at least simplify Denver’s predicament.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 2
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 6
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 44
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 30
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25