Feb 15, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
John Wall is stepping up his game.
He admitted Friday when speaking to the media before the All-Star Saturday Dunk Contest that in games he holds back — his fear of missing and embarrassing himself makes him go the safe route rather than to show off.
Saturday night he’s in the dunk contest and he is stepping up his game — something LeBron James has never done. Wall called LeBron out on that and questioned his one famed dunk contest win back when LeBron was in high school, as reported by J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“I don’t think he is a big dunk contest person. Some people are more in-game dunkers. You look at the McDonald’s game (in 2003), I think LeBron just won it off hype,” Wall said. “Shannon Brown could’ve won that one.
“You tell him, ‘Here, go take a basketball and you got to dunk in front of all these people.’ I’m more of a dunk contest person. In-game, I’m not trying all them because I’m not trying to miss and get taken out of the game or be on (ESPN’s) Not Top 10. In the dunk contest you can miss and say, ‘I’ve got 3 more tries.'”
Back in 2011 you could feel the momentum behind Griffin at the game in his host city, but McGee had the better dunks. Griffin’s legendary dunk over a car was theatrical but not the greatest dunk ever.
Second, LeBron James himself told PBT he’s not a dunk contest person a couple years ago. He owned up to it.
Whether or not Wall is really a dunk contest person is something we find out Saturday night.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19