Feb 15, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
John Wall is stepping up his game.
He admitted Friday when speaking to the media before the All-Star Saturday Dunk Contest that in games he holds back — his fear of missing and embarrassing himself makes him go the safe route rather than to show off.
Saturday night he’s in the dunk contest and he is stepping up his game — something LeBron James has never done. Wall called LeBron out on that and questioned his one famed dunk contest win back when LeBron was in high school, as reported by J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“I don’t think he is a big dunk contest person. Some people are more in-game dunkers. You look at the McDonald’s game (in 2003), I think LeBron just won it off hype,” Wall said. “Shannon Brown could’ve won that one.
“You tell him, ‘Here, go take a basketball and you got to dunk in front of all these people.’ I’m more of a dunk contest person. In-game, I’m not trying all them because I’m not trying to miss and get taken out of the game or be on (ESPN’s) Not Top 10. In the dunk contest you can miss and say, ‘I’ve got 3 more tries.'”
Back in 2011 you could feel the momentum behind Griffin at the game in his host city, but McGee had the better dunks. Griffin’s legendary dunk over a car was theatrical but not the greatest dunk ever.
Second, LeBron James himself told PBT he’s not a dunk contest person a couple years ago. He owned up to it.
Whether or not Wall is really a dunk contest person is something we find out Saturday night.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49