Dwight Howard, on whether LeBron or Durant is league’s best: ‘I have to believe in myself as being the best player’
Feb 15, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Dwight Howard is back to being the player we saw in Orlando before undergoing back surgery in the summer of 2012, but whether or not the league’s fans are all the way back to adoring him the way they did after multiple dunk contest titles remains a bit of a question.
Howard turned fans off with the way he handled his exit from the Magic, along with the way he behaved during a tumultuous season with the Lakers that fell well below the team’s expectations. He’s remained largely controversy-free thus far in Houston, though his latest remarks will undoubtedly be taken the wrong way by some.
“I know I’m going to get a lot (criticism), but I have to believe in myself as being the best player,” Howard said when asked if James or Durant was the NBA’s best player. “That’s how I think everyone in this room feels. They’re not going to say that this person is better than them. We have to believe that. No matter what the stats say, you have to go on the floor with that kind of mentality. ‘I’m the best player on the floor every night.’
Howard isn’t the league’s best player. But his attitude is correct.
Much like when Derrick Rose said he believed he was the best when asked a similar question, the game’s biggest stars have to take that approach every time they take the floor, or risk being bested by an equally strong opponent due to a lack of inner confidence.
Howard’s comments seem silly on the surface, but think about it a bit and it’s easy to see why he’d take that approach.
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 5
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9