Feb 14, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The NBA is a copycat league, which is good new for agents who want to become team executives.
Two of the league’s most successful teams – both on the court and with salary-cap outlook – employ former agents in their front office. Lon Babby is the Suns’ President of Basketball Operations, and Bob Myers is the Warriors general manager.
So, obviously, the key to success is hiring an agent, right? If only causation were that simple, but teams will chase it anyway.
Among the options that the Cleveland Cavaliers are weighing as they start to conceive a new front-office team is making a bid to persuade veteran agent Mark Bartelstein to leave the representation game to join them, according to sources briefed on the matter.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bartelstein – whose client list includes David Lee, Taj Gibson and Bradley Beal – could actually probably be a good team executive. It’s always tricky to assess agents, but Bartelstein, who founded his own agency, seems to have the organizational skills necessary for the role. Perhaps, he’d complement interim general manager David Griffin (pictured) in the increasingly popular two-man President/GM setup.
But he might choose just to remain an agent, a job he’s definitely suited for.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61