Feb 14, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The NBA is a copycat league, which is good new for agents who want to become team executives.
Two of the league’s most successful teams – both on the court and with salary-cap outlook – employ former agents in their front office. Lon Babby is the Suns’ President of Basketball Operations, and Bob Myers is the Warriors general manager.
So, obviously, the key to success is hiring an agent, right? If only causation were that simple, but teams will chase it anyway.
Among the options that the Cleveland Cavaliers are weighing as they start to conceive a new front-office team is making a bid to persuade veteran agent Mark Bartelstein to leave the representation game to join them, according to sources briefed on the matter.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bartelstein – whose client list includes David Lee, Taj Gibson and Bradley Beal – could actually probably be a good team executive. It’s always tricky to assess agents, but Bartelstein, who founded his own agency, seems to have the organizational skills necessary for the role. Perhaps, he’d complement interim general manager David Griffin (pictured) in the increasingly popular two-man President/GM setup.
But he might choose just to remain an agent, a job he’s definitely suited for.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 40
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23