Feb 14, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
The Thunder have an above-average 3-point percentage and a top-end defense.
But in the hunt for a title, Oklahoma City is leaving nothing to chance.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Thunder could accept up to $6.6 million for one player using a trade exception, but that’s probably not their real limit. They’re only $2,236,572 below the luxury-tax threshold, and I can’t see them surpassing it.
The trade exception itself would help Oklahoma City acquire a player on a long contract his current team wants to dump. But anyone more valuable, the Thunder would have to add a draft pick. That’s more likely because few players have burdensome contracts paying fewer than $2,236,572 this season, and the Thunder are one of the few win-now teams that can still trade a 2014 first-round pick.
Trade exceptions and draft picks might not be the only pieces involved, anyway.
You know where Oklahoma City can find a player exactly like the one it’s reportedly seeking? Its starting lineup.
But Sefolosha is shooting just 33.6 percent on 3-pointers, his lowest mark in the last three years. He’s also surrendering a 13.8 PER to opposing shooting guards, his worst mark in four years, according to 82Games.
That 3-point shooting percentage is below average, though it’s still solid. And Sefolosha’s defense might be down a bit, but it’s still strong.
The Thunder, however, as I mentioned, have championship hopes. If they can upgrade by trading – Sefolosha has an expiring $3.9 million contract, making him valuable to several teams in a deal – or motivating their current shooting guard with a threat of a trade, they will.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48