Feb 14, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
While I find the LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan debate to get tedious quickly, that’s where we are with LeBron — we are watching him at his peak and wondering where he will rank all time when all is said and done.
And when you compare someone with the all-time greats, Michael Jordan is the modern bar to clear. You can try to make the case someone else was better if you want, but everyone rightfully has Jordan in their top three. If you don’t you’re doing it wrong.
During TNT’s pregame coverage of the NBA All-Star Game Sunday, they will broadcast an interview with Charles Barkley and President Barack Obama. So Barkley naturally asked about LeBron and Jordan. Naturally. Here is the baller-in-chief’s answer, courtesy TNT.
“You know LeBron. I know LeBron. When you are standing next to him, and then you watch him close up, I’ve never seen somebody that size, that fast, who can jump that high, who is that strong, who has that much basketball savvy all in one package.
“So we don’t yet know where he is going to be. Now, I’m a Chicago guy and Mike will always be the guy, for me, just because that was a magical moment for the city. And he was a champion. Mike is now retired. LeBron, when you look at him, you think he might be able to play at a high level for another seven, eight, 10 years. He’s 29 years old. In terms of every aspect of the game, LeBron has a chance to be as good as anybody.”
That was a political answer.
I guess it’s a fun barstool debate to try and guess where LeBron will land when he hangs up his Nikes. Personally, I’d rather fully savor watching him now, knowing we are lucky to get to see one of the all time greats at his peak, and leave that debate for a day a decade from now when we have a more complete picture.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29