Feb 14, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
While I find the LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan debate to get tedious quickly, that’s where we are with LeBron — we are watching him at his peak and wondering where he will rank all time when all is said and done.
And when you compare someone with the all-time greats, Michael Jordan is the modern bar to clear. You can try to make the case someone else was better if you want, but everyone rightfully has Jordan in their top three. If you don’t you’re doing it wrong.
During TNT’s pregame coverage of the NBA All-Star Game Sunday, they will broadcast an interview with Charles Barkley and President Barack Obama. So Barkley naturally asked about LeBron and Jordan. Naturally. Here is the baller-in-chief’s answer, courtesy TNT.
“You know LeBron. I know LeBron. When you are standing next to him, and then you watch him close up, I’ve never seen somebody that size, that fast, who can jump that high, who is that strong, who has that much basketball savvy all in one package.
“So we don’t yet know where he is going to be. Now, I’m a Chicago guy and Mike will always be the guy, for me, just because that was a magical moment for the city. And he was a champion. Mike is now retired. LeBron, when you look at him, you think he might be able to play at a high level for another seven, eight, 10 years. He’s 29 years old. In terms of every aspect of the game, LeBron has a chance to be as good as anybody.”
That was a political answer.
I guess it’s a fun barstool debate to try and guess where LeBron will land when he hangs up his Nikes. Personally, I’d rather fully savor watching him now, knowing we are lucky to get to see one of the all time greats at his peak, and leave that debate for a day a decade from now when we have a more complete picture.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 4
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16