Feb 13, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
For the 15th time this season, Dwyane Wade sat out a Heat game on Wednesday.
That’s not really a surprise. A lot of those were to rest his knees, part of the Heat’s maintenance program, but on Wednesday night it was what he called a “bizarre” left foot injury.
One that could keep him out of the All-Star Game Sunday night in New Orleans.
Fans voted Wade in as a starter in the East, now he essentially says he is day-to-day, something he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
The 10-time All-Star said he had numbness in his left leg in warm-ups before the game after “the nerve kind of shut down” and kept him from having feeling in his left foot. Wade said his injury was “drop foot,” also known as foot drop, which causes an inability to lift the front part of the foot.
“It’s one of the most bizarre things…,” Wade said. “Hopefully, the numbness wears off more and more as it started to do throughout the game and throughout the rest of the night. By [Thursday] hopefully it subsides and we will go from there.”
“First I want this to calm down a little bit and get back to feeling regular and I will go from there,” Wade said. “… We will see. I’m not optimistic. I’m not pessimistic. I just want to get better.”
If Wade cannot go Sunday the league office would pick his replacement for the Eastern Conference team. That likely would be either Kyle Lowry or Lance Stephenson (I would say Lowry deserves it more right now).
However, it is coach Frank Vogel (Indiana Pacers) who would get to decide who would step into Wade’s starting role. If he wants another backcourt player he could go with DeMar DeRozan or Joe Johnson. However, the front line of the East is small and are essentially small/power forwards (LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Paul George) so Vogel could go big with Chris Bosh or his own guy Roy Hibbert to provide some size.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49