Feb 13, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
For the 15th time this season, Dwyane Wade sat out a Heat game on Wednesday.
That’s not really a surprise. A lot of those were to rest his knees, part of the Heat’s maintenance program, but on Wednesday night it was what he called a “bizarre” left foot injury.
One that could keep him out of the All-Star Game Sunday night in New Orleans.
Fans voted Wade in as a starter in the East, now he essentially says he is day-to-day, something he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
The 10-time All-Star said he had numbness in his left leg in warm-ups before the game after “the nerve kind of shut down” and kept him from having feeling in his left foot. Wade said his injury was “drop foot,” also known as foot drop, which causes an inability to lift the front part of the foot.
“It’s one of the most bizarre things…,” Wade said. “Hopefully, the numbness wears off more and more as it started to do throughout the game and throughout the rest of the night. By [Thursday] hopefully it subsides and we will go from there.”
“First I want this to calm down a little bit and get back to feeling regular and I will go from there,” Wade said. “… We will see. I’m not optimistic. I’m not pessimistic. I just want to get better.”
If Wade cannot go Sunday the league office would pick his replacement for the Eastern Conference team. That likely would be either Kyle Lowry or Lance Stephenson (I would say Lowry deserves it more right now).
However, it is coach Frank Vogel (Indiana Pacers) who would get to decide who would step into Wade’s starting role. If he wants another backcourt player he could go with DeMar DeRozan or Joe Johnson. However, the front line of the East is small and are essentially small/power forwards (LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Paul George) so Vogel could go big with Chris Bosh or his own guy Roy Hibbert to provide some size.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 13
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 40
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31