Feb 13, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Remember when so many people question Derrick Rose’s desire as he sat out all of last season?
Thankfully, those critics have mostly faded away this season. (Though it’s a darn shame we have another lost Rose season to compare to the first one)
This time, Rose has set the tone of his comeback, and “You can be a fool if you want to” said it all. But just in case you’re still on the fence, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau backs his star player’s resolve in the most direct terms.
Thibodeau, via K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:
“I think one of his great strengths is his attitude,” he said. “In the end, this is going to make him even stronger mentally. And that’s probably the biggest thing. I saw the way he responded with the ACL. He has an even greater determination now. And I think that’s going to serve him well.”
I have little doubt Rose will be extremely driven not only to return, but once he has returned, to excel on the court. He admitted seeing the Heat win the 2012 championship motivated him, and he sat idly as Miami won again last year. Again, he’ll be out of the picture during the NBA Finals this season.
That should make Rose even hungrier.
The only question is how physically capable Rose will be next season. He struggled this season, and though he deserved more time to acclimate, it was at least concerning.
If these injuries have permanently robbed Rose of some of his athleticism, all the motivation in the world might not matter.
Does Rose want to tear through the NBA in 2014-15? Absolutely.
Can he? That’s an entirely differently question.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11