Rose says he has not thought about returning to Bulls this season. Team USA this summer… maybe.

Feb 13, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

Derrick Rose AP

The Chicago Bulls are going to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, and because it’s the East if they win a round nobody will be surprised.

But they are trying to avoid last year’s tedious “will he/won’t he” return saga withg Derrick Rose. Bulls coach Tim Thibodeau got out in front of that already and tried to squash it saying Rose is done for the season due to a torn right meniscus.

Rose wouldn’t exactly say the same thing but told CSNChicago.com he has not even run yet and while he is working out there are no plans to try and return to the Bulls this season.

“We haven’t even talked about (a return date). I just come in every day, six days a week, and just try to do all my work and see how far it’s going to take me when I step back on the court,” Rose said. ” I work out six days a week, so I don’t have time to think about basketball….

“I’m not keeping it open. I just said that right now I haven’t thought about it,” Rose said. “I can’t think about it. I’m not running right now. When I get off the AlterG, that’s when I’ll consider coming back or not.”

What he does want to be back for is the World Championships late this summer in Spain.

Rose was a force four years ago in Turkey when Team USA won gold at the event (and secured a slot in the Olympic basketball tournament) and he said if he is healthy he wants to play for his country again.

“If my leg is feeling healthy and I’m there, I’m all in. Of course I want to play for that team,” Rose said. “Playing for that team, it helped the year I won MVP, just getting in the groove. I’m excited if I am able to play in it.”

What would Thibodeau say? Well, he’s one of Mike Krzyzewski’s assistant coaches on Team USA. My guess is if he could get Rose back and let him shake the rust off and find a groove playing with the best players in the world Thibs would be good with it. Let Rose hit the ground running next season, rather than working his way back into a groove.

But he’s got to get healthy first.

1. knicksmets - Feb 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Then again the bulls may not even make the playoffs, but I think they will Thibs is a good coach so I’m sure they can make it especially in a down year for the Easter conference. Rose should come back only when he is 100% sure he’s fine and maybe even longer. Doesn’t want to get injured again.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Ok Derrick, it was cute the first year but this is a relatively minor (to an ACL tear) injury that takes 3-4 months to heal from.

I’d be itching to play every second if I was Rose. If you’re cleared to play, and come back this season and play hard and get injured, then that’s a chance you have to take.

Blanketly ruling yourself out for months and months ahead is ridiculous.

• irvfin3 - Feb 14, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Nah man the Bulls WILL make the playoffs. The eastern conference is weak and they’re currently above .500

2. timb12 - Feb 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM

This is a good idea. The USA team wouldn’t need him playing extensive minutes, and with Thibs on the coaching staff it seems like a great way for Rose to ease back into things.

3. chiadam - Feb 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Derrick Who? I understand that injuries happen, but his contract is killing the Bulls. Not only will he miss virtually this entire season to go along with the season he missed last year, but he also missed a huge chunk of the lockout season before blowing his ACL out. And he still has the nerve to leak his dissatisfaction with a possible rebuild for the Bulls? Now I just want to know how long he can continue the humble superstar con job.

• shytownric1 - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Like it’s his fault he got injured. Why do people like you insist on disrespecting Derrick Rose? Like you said, injuries do happen, but does that give you the right to disrespect a man like that instead of supporting him?

• chunkala - Feb 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Yes, it does. i said this a year ago, its obvious he doesn’t want to play NBA basketball anymore. so fans of NBA and/or Bulls are pissed that they won’t ever see him in his old form. And Bulls fans/front office are pissed that he basically stole his contract. Whats so hard to understand?

4. romestar82 - Feb 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Who is Derrick Rose?

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Does anyone else read “Who is…?” comments in a Pedro Martinez voice in their head?

5. timberwolvesbrisin - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Losing respect for D. Rose.

• shytownric1 - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM

So?

• calkinsrob - Feb 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Why?

• ProBasketballPundit - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Because he’s supposed to be an athlete who plays in games. Are you telling me that if your co-worker took 85% of the days off over 3 years off because of a disability that you wouldn’t lose respect for them?

• calkinsrob - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I get the frustration with his absence. But its not like hes faking it and purposely sitting out. He hasn’t handled it the right way with the media, but I didn’t have a problem with him sitting out last year with the ACL, theres a major mental barrier for anyone with that injury I get that. And this year he opted to repair the MCL instead of taking it out, which makes it a longer rehab process. I just think hes had some bad luck in the past 2-3 years and I don’t like how so many people are turning on him. Theres just so much we dont know. He could be training as hard as he can.

• calkinsrob - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

also the bulls didnt have to pay a large percentage of his salary last year because he missed enough of the games. Injuries happen. i dont think everyone should hate this guy because hes not healthy

6. romestar82 - Feb 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Q.What does Andrew Bynum,Derrick Rose have in common ?
    A.They both steal money riding pine

• shytownric1 - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Did you 5 year old child tell you that one?

• casualcommenter - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Not a fan of that comparison.

One sabotaged his own rehab by bowling and has been accused of not really enjoying basketball.

The other was way too indecisive on deciding when to return from a serious injury, but otherwise has never been accused of a lack of effort in his rehab or lack of commitment to basketball.

7. lenbias34pt - Feb 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM

A torn Meniscus is not on the scale of an ACL surgery. I would be shocked if Rose isn’t playing in late March.
    Check the average return date for NBA players from this surgery.

The Bulls will be a very interesting team come playoff time.

8. jusdre313 - Feb 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM

thats the thing with prosports.. just like alot of stuff in life its what have you done for me lately.. people forget he was the MVP couple years ago. Look Rose AND the bulls messed up with the acl tear last season. Rose should not have been going back and forth saying i may or may not play. He should have been firm that he was NOT going to play all season.. no need to get everyones hopes up

Bulls messed up by saying we cleared him to play, basically throwing him under the bus like he just wasnt coming back just because

as far as the money. The bulls gave him the Max. Thats on them, and lets not act like he didnt deserve it. (plus he hadnt had major injuries before the acl tear)

take your time D.Rose and come back when your healthy.. and from comments thats on this page you can most these “fans” are only on your side when your doing good. Then its the hell with you when your struggling

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches