Feb 13, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
If the mask doesn’t fit, you’ve got to sit.
Or something like that.
Except he didn’t suit up. After going through warm-ups Smith told the Knicks the protective mask he had didn’t fit right and he couldn’t play with it on. He was out, as explained at Newsday.
J.R. Smith tried to make it work. For a good 30 minutes before Wednesday night’s game against Sacramento, he made his way around the perimeter, trying to get his game going while wearing his new protective plastic mask.
Less than an hour before game time, however, he decided the mask just wasn’t fitting the way he wanted and it wasn’t worth the risk. “I’m not gonna play tonight,” Smith said. “I’ll wait it out and hopefully it heals more within the next week and I get more comfortable wearing it.”
“Yeah, it’s way too risky to play without it,” he said. “For the consequences to get hit again in that spot, I can lose my vision and I don’t want that and nobody else would want that. So I’ll just wait it out, wait one game.”
The Knicks lost to the Kings 106-101 without him. The primary guard rotation of Raymond Felton, Pablo Prigioni and Timothy Hardaway Jr. combined for 20 points on 8-of-26 shooting (30.8 percent). So yes, the Knicks could have used Smith.
The mask will be adjusted so that hopefully it fits better after the All-Star break, he said. Hopefully that plus the additional time off (allowing him to practice a little in the mask and get used to it) should have him back on the court next week.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28