Feb 12, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
The Phoenix Suns are going to have to pay big money to keep Eric Bledsoe this summer. They know it. They’d just like to keep the price down a little.
The Suns are committed to Bledsoe, having traded Jared Dudley for him. They thought Bledsoe could be a cornerstone piece. However, that’s different than the Suns and Bledsoe seeing eye-to-eye on a price — before the season the two sides couldn’t reach a deal on a contract extension. Which means this summer Bledsoe is a restricted free agent (other teams can make offers but the Suns have the right to match it).
Since then Bledsoe has gone out and played at an All-Star level — 18 points and 5.8 assists per game, with a true shooting percentage of 58.7 and a PER of 20 (although he is currently out injured). Those kinds of numbers mean there is going to be a lot of interest from other teams this summer trying to poach the young guard.
As their GM has before, Suns president Lon Babby said on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM the team will match any offer for Bledsoe this summer.
“I think our answer to (would we match any offer) is yes, that we know enough about Eric as a player,” Babby said. “Even more importantly, we’ve lived with him now for almost a year as a person. We like everything about him. Like him as a teammate, like him as a representative of our franchise and everything that he stands for.
“He’s got a tremendous future.”
With these public statements the Suns are trying to save a few dollars.
Bledsoe is going to be an eight figure a year player after this season, what the Suns don’t want is another team to come in and make a max or near max offer they have to match. Worse yet, they don’t want to see an offer with a poison pill that makes it more painful for the Suns. Less competition for Bledsoe’s services means a better price for the Suns, so they are trying to scare off suitors now.
It’s all a negotiation. It’s part of the game. They just need to be careful not to spoil their relationship with their young star in the effort to save a few dollars.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25