Steve Nash’s leg bothering him again, likely out until after All-Star break

Feb 12, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Steve Nash played his 10th game for the Lakers Tuesday night (maybe now some Lakers fans will finally let go of the medical retirement stuff that was never going to happen anyway).

And he aggravated his nerve root injury. Again.

Nash tried to play through it but that didn’t work. He said the back issue that leads to tightness in his hamstring bothered him before the game; he played for a half but looked slow and was ineffective. Nobody was giving specifics to the Los Angeles Times but it sounds to me like he sits out Thursday against Oklahoma City and returns after the All-Star break.

“I think I need a little more time to get over the hump,” he told The Times…

“I imagine it’s day to day. I don’t know anything else,” Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni said of Nash’s status. “I haven’t really talked to him.”

The Lakers are 8-15 at home this season and have dropped six in a row. Oklahoma City coming to town with the red-hot Kevin Durant is not likely to help that situation.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Having Nash back might not help much either, unless he is 100 percent. He looked pretty good on his 40th birthday when he scored 19 and had five assists against Philadelphia, but his nerve issue flared up when he was bumped by Kirk Hinrich in a physical game against the Bulls (all games against the Bulls are physical). Since then Nash hasn’t looked right.

No, this doesn’t mean Nash is seriously considering retirement yet.

The Lakers should have Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar healthy and able to join Kendall Marshall in the backcourt against the Thunder.

1. fanofthegame79 - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I’m a Nash fan – I think he was a great PG in his prime, but he’s well beyond his prime now. Since he left Phoenix, he has been injured (from broken bones to nerve issues); sure, he can show flashes of being a good PG, but his defense sucks (was never good, even in his prime) and his injuries are a constant now. I think it’s time he retires.

2. calkinsrob - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

so frustrating for steve. Did Larry have to miss games on and off like this during his last seasons as a celtic? I know its a different issue but im curious. Nash’s ‘nerve damage’ issue seems kind of unique.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

In Bird’s 4th to last season, he only played in 6 games but it was due to bone spurs in his feet.

When he came back for the 1989/90 season, he suffered from chronic back problems.

In his last two seasons, he only played in 60 games and then in 45 games his last season.

He retired due to his chronic back problems.

3. lakerade - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I was really looking forward to that Nash-Fisher showdown, too.

• joshm5683 - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM

As a Lakers fan, and judging by your name I’m guessing you are too………..hah, I always looked forward to when the Lakers played the Suns or Mavericks because it meant there was someone out there who was just as slow as Fish and just as bad defensively as well! Jason Kidd and Steve Nash in their primes were obviously vastly superior to Fisher’s career, but besides for a few clutch shots and yes he did save LA in game 4 in Orlando, but he was so slow

4. spthegr8 - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM

These post aren’t news anymore, I don’t expect him to play. It’s news when he actually plays. Just Sayin’!!

5. sellahh - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Bum

• calkinsrob - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM

you try playing nba level bball at age 40. Its obviously very hard to do.

6. shuttaman1990 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I blame the suns for not even making at least to the finals once with him.
    They had a 2 times MVP and couldn’t make the finals?
    I mean ok it was hard to go by the Lakers back then, but the times they did they should have made it.
    I mean he just wants a ring or at least a taste of them finals bro.
    He might try to play until he can’t physically to get that ring! He isn’t a content Canadian like Anthony Bennet! True Canadian NBA hero Steve Nash!

Lakers all day!

• antistratfordian - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Well in the Suns defense, Nash probably should only have 1 MVP – or none. But the white media’s urge to crown a white baller is sometimes too great. They’re just chomping at the bit to give it to Kevin Love. If at any point the Timberwolves win 50 games Love will be the runaway MVP.

7. leoimpr - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM

you cannot beat father time, bad signing by the Lakers, as well as giving all those millions to Kobe, and trading Bynum for a part time Howard. It will take years to recover. Lakers suck. Hope Miami doesn’t do the same thing with Wade, let him go into the free agency. He will be back.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Oh yeah, they’ve missed out on so much with Bynum the last few years.

8. chargerdillon - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Thanks Mitch!

-Phoenix Suns

9. jammer73 - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

When’s this dude going to just RETIRE. Total scrub at this point in his career.

10. jimsjam33 - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Wave the bum already !

11. polarbearsquares - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

No Laker fan bashing? I’m surprised. Presently surprised.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches