Feb 12, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Steve Nash played his 10th game for the Lakers Tuesday night (maybe now some Lakers fans will finally let go of the medical retirement stuff that was never going to happen anyway).
And he aggravated his nerve root injury. Again.
Nash tried to play through it but that didn’t work. He said the back issue that leads to tightness in his hamstring bothered him before the game; he played for a half but looked slow and was ineffective. Nobody was giving specifics to the Los Angeles Times but it sounds to me like he sits out Thursday against Oklahoma City and returns after the All-Star break.
“I think I need a little more time to get over the hump,” he told The Times…
“I imagine it’s day to day. I don’t know anything else,” Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni said of Nash’s status. “I haven’t really talked to him.”
The Lakers are 8-15 at home this season and have dropped six in a row. Oklahoma City coming to town with the red-hot Kevin Durant is not likely to help that situation.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Having Nash back might not help much either, unless he is 100 percent. He looked pretty good on his 40th birthday when he scored 19 and had five assists against Philadelphia, but his nerve issue flared up when he was bumped by Kirk Hinrich in a physical game against the Bulls (all games against the Bulls are physical). Since then Nash hasn’t looked right.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6