Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
This is exactly what Flip Saunders was talking about when he suggested this will be a slower than expected trade deadline because teams are not willing to part with picks in perceived good drafts.
At the right price.
“If Danny gets a monster offer for Rondo, I don’t think he’s attached to him in the sense that he’s untradeable,” Mannix said. “But I think it’s going to take a huge, All-Star level Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen type of offer.” (To be clear, he means a blockbuster deal like the ones the Celtics made to get those two in 2007, not bringing those two back.)
“I think at this point, Jeff Green is absolutely on the table for a deal. I think if Boston can find a way to find a way to get either a first-round draft pick or some kind of young piece back that can be better for their future, they would be willing to deal him,” he said. “The problem is that other teams are seeing what Jeff Green is, and other teams are seeing just how much money Jeff Green is making, and I don’t think they’re willing to deal for him.”
There’s a reason Oklahoma City was willing to move Green in the Kendrick Perkins trade, that they didn’t see Green as part of the future. Ainge gets that now, but he also gave Green a new contract that makes him very hard to move.
Rondo is going to be a Celtic next season. The question Ainge really has to deal with here is if he can re-sign Rondo in the summer of 2015, and if not should he move him.
One thing seems clear — Boston is going to look to make a big splash in the summer of 2015 (and beyond), that is when they will decide if they like what they have and will have the cap space to go after some big name free agents. It will be a tough market (the Lakers and Knicks should have cap space then too, among others) but that is clearly the plan.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 47
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61