Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
This is exactly what Flip Saunders was talking about when he suggested this will be a slower than expected trade deadline because teams are not willing to part with picks in perceived good drafts.
At the right price.
“If Danny gets a monster offer for Rondo, I don’t think he’s attached to him in the sense that he’s untradeable,” Mannix said. “But I think it’s going to take a huge, All-Star level Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen type of offer.” (To be clear, he means a blockbuster deal like the ones the Celtics made to get those two in 2007, not bringing those two back.)
“I think at this point, Jeff Green is absolutely on the table for a deal. I think if Boston can find a way to find a way to get either a first-round draft pick or some kind of young piece back that can be better for their future, they would be willing to deal him,” he said. “The problem is that other teams are seeing what Jeff Green is, and other teams are seeing just how much money Jeff Green is making, and I don’t think they’re willing to deal for him.”
There’s a reason Oklahoma City was willing to move Green in the Kendrick Perkins trade, that they didn’t see Green as part of the future. Ainge gets that now, but he also gave Green a new contract that makes him very hard to move.
Rondo is going to be a Celtic next season. The question Ainge really has to deal with here is if he can re-sign Rondo in the summer of 2015, and if not should he move him.
One thing seems clear — Boston is going to look to make a big splash in the summer of 2015 (and beyond), that is when they will decide if they like what they have and will have the cap space to go after some big name free agents. It will be a tough market (the Lakers and Knicks should have cap space then too, among others) but that is clearly the plan.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6