Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
This is exactly what Flip Saunders was talking about when he suggested this will be a slower than expected trade deadline because teams are not willing to part with picks in perceived good drafts.
At the right price.
“If Danny gets a monster offer for Rondo, I don’t think he’s attached to him in the sense that he’s untradeable,” Mannix said. “But I think it’s going to take a huge, All-Star level Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen type of offer.” (To be clear, he means a blockbuster deal like the ones the Celtics made to get those two in 2007, not bringing those two back.)
“I think at this point, Jeff Green is absolutely on the table for a deal. I think if Boston can find a way to find a way to get either a first-round draft pick or some kind of young piece back that can be better for their future, they would be willing to deal him,” he said. “The problem is that other teams are seeing what Jeff Green is, and other teams are seeing just how much money Jeff Green is making, and I don’t think they’re willing to deal for him.”
There’s a reason Oklahoma City was willing to move Green in the Kendrick Perkins trade, that they didn’t see Green as part of the future. Ainge gets that now, but he also gave Green a new contract that makes him very hard to move.
Rondo is going to be a Celtic next season. The question Ainge really has to deal with here is if he can re-sign Rondo in the summer of 2015, and if not should he move him.
One thing seems clear — Boston is going to look to make a big splash in the summer of 2015 (and beyond), that is when they will decide if they like what they have and will have the cap space to go after some big name free agents. It will be a tough market (the Lakers and Knicks should have cap space then too, among others) but that is clearly the plan.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 22
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26