Feb 12, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are not the Boston Celtics without Bill Russell.
He was a great player, a civil rights activist and a guy who changed the NBA and more importantly had a hand in changing the nation.
Wednesday, Feb. 12, is also his 80th birthday. Fans
Wait. Bill Russell and Abraham Lincoln share a birthday? This…this is my new favorite thing.—
Derek James (@DerekJamesNBA) February 12, 2014
And just in case you need a reminder of his greatness:
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37