Feb 12, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are not the Boston Celtics without Bill Russell.
He was a great player, a civil rights activist and a guy who changed the NBA and more importantly had a hand in changing the nation.
Wednesday, Feb. 12, is also his 80th birthday. Fans
Wait. Bill Russell and Abraham Lincoln share a birthday? This…this is my new favorite thing.—
Derek James (@DerekJamesNBA) February 12, 2014
And just in case you need a reminder of his greatness:
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34