Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
At times, I wonder why every draft pick celebrates getting selected.
Of course, I understand why first-rounders who get picked higher than expected celebrate. They’re going to make more money.
And I get why players chosen late in draft celebrate. There was no guarantee they’d be picked at all.
But expected first-rounders selected in the first round and players who slipped? I understand it’s an important mark in their career, but they knew they’d get drafted anyway. The moment of selection doesn’t change much for them – with one exception.
When players are drafted, they learn which team they’ll play for.
However, nearly all players celebrate getting drafted, even when they’re picked by some of the NBA’s less-appealing teams. It’s almost as if the team doesn’t matter to them.
“When I actually got drafted, I didn’t realize who it was to at the beginning,” Parsons said. “I hugged everybody and asked my brother, ‘So where am I going?’ ”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It’s understandable Parsons was confused. The Rockets started the draft with the No. 38 pick, traded it to the Timberwolves and then bought it back to select Parsons.
But I don’t totally see the rationale for why Parsons was so excited at that moment.
I do, however, see why he’d be excited in hindsight to play for Houston rather than Minnesota.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24