Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
At times, I wonder why every draft pick celebrates getting selected.
Of course, I understand why first-rounders who get picked higher than expected celebrate. They’re going to make more money.
And I get why players chosen late in draft celebrate. There was no guarantee they’d be picked at all.
But expected first-rounders selected in the first round and players who slipped? I understand it’s an important mark in their career, but they knew they’d get drafted anyway. The moment of selection doesn’t change much for them – with one exception.
When players are drafted, they learn which team they’ll play for.
However, nearly all players celebrate getting drafted, even when they’re picked by some of the NBA’s less-appealing teams. It’s almost as if the team doesn’t matter to them.
“When I actually got drafted, I didn’t realize who it was to at the beginning,” Parsons said. “I hugged everybody and asked my brother, ‘So where am I going?’ ”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It’s understandable Parsons was confused. The Rockets started the draft with the No. 38 pick, traded it to the Timberwolves and then bought it back to select Parsons.
But I don’t totally see the rationale for why Parsons was so excited at that moment.
I do, however, see why he’d be excited in hindsight to play for Houston rather than Minnesota.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5