Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
At times, I wonder why every draft pick celebrates getting selected.
Of course, I understand why first-rounders who get picked higher than expected celebrate. They’re going to make more money.
And I get why players chosen late in draft celebrate. There was no guarantee they’d be picked at all.
But expected first-rounders selected in the first round and players who slipped? I understand it’s an important mark in their career, but they knew they’d get drafted anyway. The moment of selection doesn’t change much for them – with one exception.
When players are drafted, they learn which team they’ll play for.
However, nearly all players celebrate getting drafted, even when they’re picked by some of the NBA’s less-appealing teams. It’s almost as if the team doesn’t matter to them.
“When I actually got drafted, I didn’t realize who it was to at the beginning,” Parsons said. “I hugged everybody and asked my brother, ‘So where am I going?’ ”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It’s understandable Parsons was confused. The Rockets started the draft with the No. 38 pick, traded it to the Timberwolves and then bought it back to select Parsons.
But I don’t totally see the rationale for why Parsons was so excited at that moment.
I do, however, see why he’d be excited in hindsight to play for Houston rather than Minnesota.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20