Chandler Parsons celebrated getting drafted without a clue which team selected him

Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Houston Rockets Getty Images

At times, I wonder why every draft pick celebrates getting selected.

Of course, I understand why first-rounders who get picked higher than expected celebrate. They’re going to make more money.

And I get why players chosen late in draft celebrate. There was no guarantee they’d be picked at all.

But expected first-rounders selected in the first round and players who slipped? I understand it’s an important mark in their career, but they knew they’d get drafted anyway. The moment of selection doesn’t change much for them – with one exception.

When players are drafted, they learn which team they’ll play for.

However, nearly all players celebrate getting drafted, even when they’re picked by some of the NBA’s less-appealing teams. It’s almost as if the team doesn’t matter to them.

Want proof?

Rockets forward Chandler Parsons, who was a fringe first-round prospect and selected early in the second round of the 2011 draft,  via Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:

“When I actually got drafted, I didn’t realize who it was to at the beginning,” Parsons said. “I hugged everybody and asked my brother, ‘So where am I going?’ ”

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

It’s understandable Parsons was confused. The Rockets started the draft with the No. 38 pick, traded it to the Timberwolves and then bought it back to select Parsons.

But I don’t totally see the rationale for why Parsons was so excited at that moment.

I do, however, see why he’d be excited in hindsight to play for Houston rather than Minnesota.

1. brandoncrockett2314 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Thinking about another TWolves draft miss shouldn’t upset me this much….but it does

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Ghosts of David Kahns past will haunt the T’Wolves forever.

2. knicksmets - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

That’s pretty funny. Surprising he want paying a little more attention to the draft, since it is a pretty big moment in basketball players lives.

3. tridecagon - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Wow, man, do you take everything for granted? Regardless of what the pundits think about your draft status, you aren’t picked until you’re picked. Getting selected by a professional sports team is what these kids have been working towards their entire young lives. Why WOULDN’T you celebrate?

• au1978 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I know, this article was kind of stupid. As if he should have just been stone-faced.

• davidly - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Thank you.

4. vikesdynasty - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Ouch.

5. frank35sox - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM

You’re kidding right? If you can’t celebrate making it to the NBA, then there is nothing significant enough for you to celebrate. You must have a miserable life.

6. paleihe - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

You’ve had a dream your entire life. You’ve worked hard, sacrificed time with friends, hanging out, social events, and much more to work on your craft. You’ve spent years dreaming and working.

Then one night, when everyone is around you, your family, friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, on national television, your name is called that your dream has been fulfilled. Forget merely celebrating, I’m surprised more of them don’t break down and cry.

7. Dan Feldman - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Imagine a national company says it will give you a job interview and will call back in a few weeks to say where/what the job would be if you get it. A few weeks later, the phone rings, and you say hello. It’s a rep from the national company.

Do you break into wild celebration right then? That’s essentially what Parsons did.

If he wants to celebrate that moment, more power to him. Personally, I’d say there are other parts of the journey that more logically lend themselves to celebration.

• Dan Feldman - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM

And for the record, I would celebrate crazy if I got drafted. That doesn’t make it any more rational.

• davidly - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Keep digging.

• zeedoubleyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I think you’re going to need a bigger shovel for all that !@#$ you’re trying to pile on us.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM

He was almost a fringe player without a guarantee to get drafted. He got A LOT better after only getting drafted.

It’s not like he was a lottery pick. I’d rather play in Minnesota or Cleveland in the NBA than play in LA or NY (whose D-League teams are not in LA or NY) for a D-League team or overseas.

• paleihe - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

If it was your dream since you were a child to work for said national company, you definitely would.

• Dan Feldman - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Just for them calling back when they said they would and before I heard what the call said? I probably would not.

• paleihe - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Well, based on what Parsons said, he heard what they said.

They said, “Chandler, you got a job in the NBA!” He celebrated. Then, he realized he’s going to Houston. The celebration is in getting the job, not the location of the job.

So Chandler, and you in this case, would have heard that you got the job, a job that only 450-500 people in the world get during a given year.

Definitely time for celebration, at least in my book.

• Dan Feldman - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Second-round picks do not have guaranteed contracts. Getting draft does not equal getting a job in the NBA

• paleihe - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM

You’re right, it’s much better to go undrafted.

8. pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Also, I checked for fun where Parsons was in 2011 mock drafts. He was 27th in 1, 41st in another and in 3 other mock drafts which only projected the 1st round, he wasn’t in any of them.

Its safe to say he was far from a lock to be drafted in the 1st round and was not an “expected first rounder” by any stretch.

In your example of the national company, this is the **NBA**. It’s a dream and privilege to play in it and you go wherever you get drafted.

You treating this chance as nothing too special is pretty surprising and even disturbing.

9. davidly - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

At the outset of this post you note that “every draft pick celebrates getting selected”. You then go on to liken it to getting any other job. But it’s not.

So where is the disconnect? With every draft pick? With sports writer who cannot understand every draft pick?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview