Carmelo Anthony says All-Star weekend a chance to decompress, not recruit

Feb 12, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Denver Nuggets v New York Knicks Getty Images

I know this ruins a lot of conspiracy theories — and the Internet loves a conspiracy (did you know the Illuminati Controls the Red Cross?) — but when NBA players get together this weekend for the All-Star Game in New Orleans they are not spending time plotting their next free agent moves together.

Not even close. They may have casual discussions while in the VIP area of a club you can’t access, but the conversation more like you and your buddies sitting around watching football and saying, “we should totally go skiing in Aspen together next year.” There’s a slim chance you get it together and pull the trip off, but most likely that comment is as far as it goes.

Don’t take my word for it, listen to Carmelo Anthony. He can be a free agent and the New York Post asked if All-Star Weekend is like a college recruiting trip.

“I think All-Star weekend is just a time where you can relax, decompress, kind of reflect on the first half of the season and gear up for the second half of the season,” Anthony said, noting tales of recruiting “as always, as always” are blown out of proportion. “As far as recruiting and things like that, that never happens.”

“A lot of guys — especially the people I call friends, the people I talk to — it’s more making sure I’m all right, making sure I’m keeping my head up, making sure I’m staying positive,” said Anthony who takes his 27.1-point, second-best NBA scoring average against Sacramento in the Knicks’ pre-All-Star finale Wednesday at the Garden. “It’s not, ‘Whatcha gonna do?’ or ‘You should do this or you should do that.’ It’s more just being there during this time.”

Players talk all the time — about what it’s like playing for a team or a city, or about agents, or about women, or about a lot of other things. Sure, some of that is “hey, we should try to play together” but at the end of the day they will play where they can make the most money, feel the most comfortable and can win. If that works out with guys they like, great.

But sorry, there just is no great conspiracy going on behind your back with player movement. So you guys in the tin foil hats can return to focusing on how even retired David Stern will control the referees and the outcomes of playoff games. Obviously, Stern is high up in the Illuminati.

1. pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Melo and Kevin Love need to decompress the most. Their teams are horrific given expectations.

2. velocirep - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM

“Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get us”

3. cantonbound13 - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

He’s leaving. I can see him going to Chicago.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I hope not! I’ve been a Bulls fan since the mid 70’s (remember being in the old stadium watching the A Train Artis Gilmore playing center for the Bulls against the Washington Bullets, that’s what they were called back then kids).

Melo is an inefficient volume scorer who plays poor defense. He’s good, but with his salary, he needs to do more. He makes more than LBJ and they came into the league at the same time. LBJ is a five time first team all defensive player. A max player should be efficient and be able to play on both ends of the court well.

I hope the Knicks resign him or somehow the Lakers can get him. I wish Melo on no other franchises.

• aboogy123456 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Melo is not an inefficient player. You need to understand that efficiency has a lot to do with the players around you, that’s why melo was so efficient on team USA. He also makes his teammates more efficient by creating open shots, taking the other team’s best defender, and demanding double teams. I think he’d be a great fit on the bulls and give them a legit shot to win the east.

• cruzan80 - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM

@ aboogy123456……trust me my man, “sportsfan7″ didnt understand one single thing you just said….sorry you wasted your time replying to the President of the Melo HATE club.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Everything you listed is impact and not efficiency. Mel has a big impact on the game, but he’s not efficient.

4. velocirep - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I wouldn’t call it a conspiracy, but you have to wonder what Miami ‘s big 3 talked about at the ASG the year before they got together.

• doc305 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

No you don’t. Even they have said that they spoke about all playing together during the Beijing olympic games.. it’s not a conspiracy, it’s stated fact.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM

This isn’t 1985. They have cell phones. They don’t have to be in the same room to talk anymore.

5. topdawg4ever - Feb 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Maybe some players will be talking about “teaming up” but I doubt those discussions will include Melo.

6. 1forest1 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Would love to see Melo and Love team up some how. Every team needs at least two stars to succeed

7. 1forest1 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I would like to see Melo and Love team up some how. Every team needs at least two stars to succeed

8. chicagosports2014 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

No need to recruit we all no where Melo is going

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches