Feb 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
When it happened it looked like something worse.
Portland reserve big man Joel Freeland was battling for rebounding position in the first quarter Tuesday night when it looks like Nicolas Batum is pushed back and his foot hits Freeland’s right knee, which buckled and gave way. You can see a gif of the injury here if you want, just be warned it’s not pretty.
A postgame MRI revealed a sprained MCL that will have Freeland out 4-8 weeks, the team announced. Again, it could have been worse.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Freeland has been solid if unspectacular off the bench for Portland in his second season, averaging 3.4 points and 4 rebounds a game, playing just more than 14 minutes a night. Expect to see a lot more Meyers Leonard and some Thomas Robinson with Freeland out.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10