Feb 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
When it happened it looked like something worse.
Portland reserve big man Joel Freeland was battling for rebounding position in the first quarter Tuesday night when it looks like Nicolas Batum is pushed back and his foot hits Freeland’s right knee, which buckled and gave way. You can see a gif of the injury here if you want, just be warned it’s not pretty.
A postgame MRI revealed a sprained MCL that will have Freeland out 4-8 weeks, the team announced. Again, it could have been worse.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Freeland has been solid if unspectacular off the bench for Portland in his second season, averaging 3.4 points and 4 rebounds a game, playing just more than 14 minutes a night. Expect to see a lot more Meyers Leonard and some Thomas Robinson with Freeland out.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 20
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 17
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 16
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5