Feb 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
When it happened it looked like something worse.
Portland reserve big man Joel Freeland was battling for rebounding position in the first quarter Tuesday night when it looks like Nicolas Batum is pushed back and his foot hits Freeland’s right knee, which buckled and gave way. You can see a gif of the injury here if you want, just be warned it’s not pretty.
A postgame MRI revealed a sprained MCL that will have Freeland out 4-8 weeks, the team announced. Again, it could have been worse.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Freeland has been solid if unspectacular off the bench for Portland in his second season, averaging 3.4 points and 4 rebounds a game, playing just more than 14 minutes a night. Expect to see a lot more Meyers Leonard and some Thomas Robinson with Freeland out.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29