Feb 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
When it happened it looked like something worse.
Portland reserve big man Joel Freeland was battling for rebounding position in the first quarter Tuesday night when it looks like Nicolas Batum is pushed back and his foot hits Freeland’s right knee, which buckled and gave way. You can see a gif of the injury here if you want, just be warned it’s not pretty.
A postgame MRI revealed a sprained MCL that will have Freeland out 4-8 weeks, the team announced. Again, it could have been worse.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Freeland has been solid if unspectacular off the bench for Portland in his second season, averaging 3.4 points and 4 rebounds a game, playing just more than 14 minutes a night. Expect to see a lot more Meyers Leonard and some Thomas Robinson with Freeland out.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 15
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32