Feb 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
When it happened it looked like something worse.
Portland reserve big man Joel Freeland was battling for rebounding position in the first quarter Tuesday night when it looks like Nicolas Batum is pushed back and his foot hits Freeland’s right knee, which buckled and gave way. You can see a gif of the injury here if you want, just be warned it’s not pretty.
A postgame MRI revealed a sprained MCL that will have Freeland out 4-8 weeks, the team announced. Again, it could have been worse.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Freeland has been solid if unspectacular off the bench for Portland in his second season, averaging 3.4 points and 4 rebounds a game, playing just more than 14 minutes a night. Expect to see a lot more Meyers Leonard and some Thomas Robinson with Freeland out.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25