Feb 11, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Lawson, the Nuggets’ top player, broke a rib in a loss to the Pistons on Saturday. He missed Monday’s loss to the Pacers, a 39-point setback and Denver’s third straight defeat, and it doesn’t sound as if he’ll return soon.
Nuggets coach Brian Shaw, via Christopher Dempsey of The Denver Post:
“I would imagine it would be a little while,” Nuggets coach Brian Shaw said. “I saw when he (got injured), how he writhed in pain, and it took him pretty much until (Monday) to be able to sit up straight. Luckily for us, after (Monday’s) game and Wednesday’s game we have the all-star break, so that will give us a built-in three, four, five days before our next game.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
At 24-26, the Nuggets’ playoff hopes are faint, anyway. They’re 10th in the West and six games behind the No. 8 seed.
But attempting to play an extended stretch without a point guard – Randy Foye started at the position Monday and Evan Fournier and Jordan Hamilton filled in off the bench – will sink Denver much deeper.
The Nuggets have used five lineups that include Lawson, Miller or Robinson for at least 10 minutes this season. Predictably, they’ve floundered. Their net ratings:
- +5.8 (34 minutes)
- -41.4 (11 minutes)
- -5.6 (10 minutes)
- -7.5 (10 minutes)
- -84.5 (10 minutes)
Perhaps, Foye, Fournier and Hamilton can adjust to their new roles and improve those lineups, but they’re starting in a deep hole. Denver definitely needs Lawson or Miller.
The only question now is whether Lawson’s rib or Shaw’s relationship with Miller heals first.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 0
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4