Feb 11, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Since a rumor emerged the Knicks would fire Mike Woodson before the trade deadline, New York has lost two of three.
If – and this is a big if – the rumor were true when it was published, there’s little reason to believe it’s any less true now. The Knicks aren’t making the type of progress that would make a decision-maker re-think Woodson’s fate.
And if Woodson will be fired by the trade deadline, why not just do it during the All-Star break? That would give the replacement coach a chance get his feet under him.
That plan makes some sense.
Just not too Woodson.
Woodson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
Woodson was asked if he has received any assurances that he will definitely be back after this weekend’s break.
“Again guys this is not about me,” Woodson said at the Knicks facility on Monday. “Unless you guys know something I don’t know, then the only thing I can say is I’m going to be back.
“Unless you guys know something, I’m the coach of the Knicks and that’s all I know at this point.”
I’m reading this quote – “I’m going to be back” – in a Terminator voice, or at least how I imagine Woodson would do a Terminator voice. (And he’d totally misquote the line.) Try reading it that way, too. It’s fun.
What can’t be fun is repeatedly answering questions about your firing, but it seems Woodson is taking the best approach. What else is he supposed to say or do?
Woodson is forging ahead as if he’ll be the Knicks’ coach forever. The moment he stops doing that and starts panicking about his future, that’s when he’ll really expose himself to being fired.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6