Feb 11, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Since a rumor emerged the Knicks would fire Mike Woodson before the trade deadline, New York has lost two of three.
If – and this is a big if – the rumor were true when it was published, there’s little reason to believe it’s any less true now. The Knicks aren’t making the type of progress that would make a decision-maker re-think Woodson’s fate.
And if Woodson will be fired by the trade deadline, why not just do it during the All-Star break? That would give the replacement coach a chance get his feet under him.
That plan makes some sense.
Just not too Woodson.
Woodson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
Woodson was asked if he has received any assurances that he will definitely be back after this weekend’s break.
“Again guys this is not about me,” Woodson said at the Knicks facility on Monday. “Unless you guys know something I don’t know, then the only thing I can say is I’m going to be back.
“Unless you guys know something, I’m the coach of the Knicks and that’s all I know at this point.”
I’m reading this quote – “I’m going to be back” – in a Terminator voice, or at least how I imagine Woodson would do a Terminator voice. (And he’d totally misquote the line.) Try reading it that way, too. It’s fun.
What can’t be fun is repeatedly answering questions about your firing, but it seems Woodson is taking the best approach. What else is he supposed to say or do?
Woodson is forging ahead as if he’ll be the Knicks’ coach forever. The moment he stops doing that and starts panicking about his future, that’s when he’ll really expose himself to being fired.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31