Feb 11, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Since a rumor emerged the Knicks would fire Mike Woodson before the trade deadline, New York has lost two of three.
If – and this is a big if – the rumor were true when it was published, there’s little reason to believe it’s any less true now. The Knicks aren’t making the type of progress that would make a decision-maker re-think Woodson’s fate.
And if Woodson will be fired by the trade deadline, why not just do it during the All-Star break? That would give the replacement coach a chance get his feet under him.
That plan makes some sense.
Just not too Woodson.
Woodson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:
Woodson was asked if he has received any assurances that he will definitely be back after this weekend’s break.
“Again guys this is not about me,” Woodson said at the Knicks facility on Monday. “Unless you guys know something I don’t know, then the only thing I can say is I’m going to be back.
“Unless you guys know something, I’m the coach of the Knicks and that’s all I know at this point.”
I’m reading this quote – “I’m going to be back” – in a Terminator voice, or at least how I imagine Woodson would do a Terminator voice. (And he’d totally misquote the line.) Try reading it that way, too. It’s fun.
What can’t be fun is repeatedly answering questions about your firing, but it seems Woodson is taking the best approach. What else is he supposed to say or do?
Woodson is forging ahead as if he’ll be the Knicks’ coach forever. The moment he stops doing that and starts panicking about his future, that’s when he’ll really expose himself to being fired.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 3
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 20
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27