Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Rajon Rondo’s career highlights with the Celtics (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.

2. Report: Cavaliers GM passed on trading for Corey Brewer, hopes to add defensive big man instead

Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

David Griffin AP

Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.

3. Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets

Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 AP

Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.

4. Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic

Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Phoenix Suns Media Day Phoenix Suns Media Day

Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

5. Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’

Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.

6. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

7. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

8. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

9. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

10. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches