Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Thanasis Antetokounmpo chooses Knicks D-League team over playing in Europe next season

Aug 21, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

thanasis nba draft

Knicks finally considering the importance of developing young talent for the future.

2. Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade

Aug 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Wiggins too, while guys like Alexey Shved will be sent to the Sixers.

3. Shaq answers the question: Kobe or LeBron?

Aug 21, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

Gone are the days when Shaq would have used this as an opportunity to take a shot at Kobe.

4. NBA GM says ‘there’s no reason’ to trade for restricted free agents Greg Monroe or Eric Bledsoe

Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT

John Loyer, Greg Monroe John Loyer, Greg Monroe

Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?

5. DeMarcus Cousins wants to be the third ‘Splash Brother’ (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”

6. Jeremy Lin smashes a cake in his mother’s face (Instagram)

Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Jeremy Lin Jeremy Lin

Being Jeremy Lin’s parent must be an interesting experience. What do you say to him to correct him.

7. Kyrie Irving with crossover, step-back jumper for Team USA (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

It’s a great move, one Irving pulls off almost ever game.

8. Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico

Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Tom Thibodeau Derrick Rose, Tom Thibodeau

Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.

9. Kentucky’s Calipari calls David Blatt right guy to coach Cavaliers

Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

David Blatt David Blatt

Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?

10. Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors

Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?

11. DeMar DeRozan leads Team USA in scoring, could well stick with team (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT

Dominican Republic v United States Getty Images

He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.

12. Coach K: No Team USA cuts before Friday’s game

Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.

13. Wednesday And-1 links: Youths who entered Ray Allen’s home charged with trespassing

Aug 20, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

Including a link to the trailers of the STARZ show LeBron James is producing loosely based on his life

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches