Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Timofey Mozgov’s local commercial is an absolute gem (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers

Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey

2. Tim Duncan bet on basketball, according to his girlfriend

Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Tim Duncan, Mitch McGary AP

Spurs big man apparently earned $100 by making 3-pointer against Thunder

3. Pelicans-Rockets nearly had a very screwed-up ending (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Anthony Davis, Alexis Ajinca, James Harden Anthony Davis, Alexis Ajinca, James Harden

Referees miss blatant out of bounds call, clock momentarily stops before restarting

4. NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend

Mar 26, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT

Northeastern v Notre Dame Getty Images

The best matchup of the weekend may be Jakob Poeltl vs. Jahlil Okafor.

5. Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in

Mar 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks

That might be fair, but what about all Love’s reasons for being frustrated with Cavaliers?

6. Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly

Mar 26, 2015, 2:29 AM EDT

Kevin Love, Zach Randolph AP

Lionel Messi was hanging out at the most entertaining NBA game of the night.

7. Chase Budinger and Jordan Clarkson exchange clutch points that harm their teams (video)

Mar 25, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Jordan Clarkson, Gorgui Dieng AP

Lakers win and hurt their draft position, Timberwolves win and help theirs

8. James Harden dunks on Omer Asik and Anthony Davis (video)

Mar 25, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT

James Harden, Nick Johnson James Harden, Nick Johnson

Those are no slouches defending the rim against the Rockets star

9. Report: Mark Price leaving Hornets for UNC-Charlotte

Mar 25, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v New York Knicks Getty Images

Hornets in thick of playoff race, but this chance for Price to become head coach

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches