Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Pistons looking into Norris Cole trade

Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Miami Heat v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Hornets also reportedly had interest in Heat point guard

2. It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest

Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The best news may be the return to the classic dunk contest format.

3. LaMarcus Aldridge says he’s back for rest of season

Jan 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge AP

Barring any setbacks with hand injury

4. Paul Pierce on why trash talk is down in league: NBA2K

Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EST

NBA 2K15 promo

My gaming experience suggests you talk a lot of trash to the guy next to you.

5. Wisconsin Governor plans for $220 million in state bonds to help pay for new Milwaukee arena

Jan 27, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

Scott Walker Getty Images

It essentially uses increased jock tax revenue to pay off the bonds.

6. Iman Shumpert mocks his own failed crossover (VIDEO)

Jan 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Shumpert dribbled it off his foot against the Thunder, then tweeted the clip.

7. Lakers’ players trying to adjust to Byron Scott’s random rotations

Jan 27, 2015, 1:55 PM EST

Byron Scott AP

Players like a routine, a rhythm to games, and the Lakers are chaos theory.

8. Kobe Bryant uses Super Bowl analogy to describe how he feels about season-ending injury

Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This is the third consecutive year Bryant has had his season prematurely ended due to injury.

9. Nets coach Lionel Hollins calls idea he doesn’t like advanced stats ‘dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’

Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Memphis Grizzlies - Game Three Getty Images

Hollins was reportedly not brought back in Memphis because of an aversion to the use of advanced statistics.

10. UPDATE: Knicks, Langston Galloway agree to contract for this season and next

Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptzmzwflzdg4ntbmzwflndvmowjizjg2oti2nmy3ztk5-e1422370631910

New York doesn’t want to offer Galloway any guaranteed money for next season.

11. Brian Shaw upset with officiating after not getting a call late in loss to Clippers

Jan 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Matt Barnes intentionally fouled Danilo Gallinari late, and Shaw believes free throws should have been awarded.

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season