Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Melvin Hunt frontrunner for Nuggets job

May 28, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Denver reportedly has not interviewed Mike D’Antoni

2. Report: Scott Skiles also being considered for Pelicans job

May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

150523_skiles Getty Images

He would help the defense, but I’m not sure about the fit.

3. Klay Thompson showing “concussion-like symptoms” following knee to head

May 28, 2015, 2:55 AM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

This is where the week off until the Finals tip off benefits the Warriors.

4. Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that?

May 28, 2015, 1:49 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Houston Rockets - Game Four Getty Images

Houston won 56 games, secured No. 2 seed in powerful Western Conference and won more playoff series than its previous 17 years combined

5. Jared Dudley calls Carmelo Anthony the NBA’s most overrated player

May 27, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT

BASKET-GBR-USA-NBA-MILWAUKEE-NY Getty Images

First Kobe, now Melo – Dudley goes scorched earth

6. PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals

May 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers V Atlanta Hawks - Game Four Cleveland Cavaliers V Atlanta Hawks - Game Four

The Cavaliers are allowing 98.5 points per 100 possession in the playoffs, the best of the four teams to reach the conference Finals

7. Report: Pelicans interview Jeff Van Gundy

May 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Seattle Seahawks v Houston Texans Getty Images

Will he become Anthony Davis’ next head coach?

8. Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau

May 27, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT

Cleveland at Chicago, Game 6 Cleveland at Chicago, Game 6

If they want him gone, they just have to pull the trigger on the firing. Otherwise, bring him back.

9. PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating

May 27, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

The Hawks had an exciting season, they filled an arena that in past years felt like a mausoleum, they played beautiful basketball for months at a time.

Despite ending, Hawks had season to remember
Top 10 NBA Player Searches