Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. 2014 PBT Awards: All-NBA team

Apr 18, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

First-team frontcourt a constant, but guard spots debated

2. Report: Steve Kerr “expects” to be offered, will take Knicks coaching job

Apr 18, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Virginia v Maryland Virginia v Maryland

While nothing is set in stone (Mike Woodson has yet to be officially fired) you know back channel conversations have already taken place. It sounds like Kerr wants in.

3. Jordan Brand unveils the Air Jordan XX9

Apr 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Jordan_XX9_695515-005_AJXX9_3Q_original

Behold: The Air Jordan XX9.

4. 2014 PBT Awards: Most Valuable Player

Apr 18, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Lebron James, Kevin Durant Lebron James, Kevin Durant

Kevin Durant and LeBron James finish 1-2 on every ballot

5. Why shot-location defense matters

Apr 18, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat

Playing effective NBA defense is more about dictating shot location than contesting shots.

6. One more amazing thing LeBron James has done

Apr 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Miami Heat Toronto Raptors v Miami Heat

Taking a lot of 3s and making a lot of 2s is not easy

7. NBA Playoff Preview: Golden State Warriors vs. Los Angeles Clippers

Apr 18, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, David Lee, Chris Paul Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, David Lee, Chris Paul

With Andrew Bogut the Warriors outplayed the Clippers this season, but Golden State will be without him and that is trouble.

8. Report: NBA’s increased age limit proposal includes higher-paying D-League

Apr 18, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

The league will try to offer a larger, better paying D-League

9. Blake Griffin among actors for dramatic reading of “Space Jam” (VIDEO)

Apr 18, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT

Monstars space jam

This is exactly what you’ve been waiting for — a dramatic reading of Space Jam including Blake Griffin and D’Andre Jordan.

10. Son tweets Craig Sager has acute leukemia

Apr 17, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five

We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.

11. Report: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics

Apr 17, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Center has $3.8 million player option

12. Likely top-10 pick Dante Exum signs with adidas

Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT

Essendon Bombers Media Opportunity Getty Images

Adidas rolls the dice on a young guard with potential. Not a bad business plan.

13. Kentucky’s James Young, Duke’s Rodney Hood declare for NBA draft

Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

NCAA Men's Final Four - Championship Getty Images

Both are likely first round picks in the teens or early 20s.

14. The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next

Apr 17, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson

What affect will Jefferson have on the development of Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Cody Zeller?

15. Toronto puts together fantastic playoffs preview video

Apr 17, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Timberwolves Raptors Basketball AP

Raptors fans are pumped for the playoffs.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards