Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE

Jul 6, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT

Mo Williams, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving AP

Cleveland fills its biggest need with its second-best roster-building mechanism

2. Reports: Mavericks re-sign J.J. Barea for two-years, $5.6 million

Jul 6, 2015, 6:44 PM EDT

J.J. Barea J.J. Barea

This is a solid signing, but the Mavs need more help at the guard spot.

3. Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade

Jul 6, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

This trade could work for both teams if the Clippers can flip Haywood’s contract again for a big man.

4. Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs

Jul 6, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT

David West David West

West left $10.6 million on the table to go to a contender.

5. Report: Dallas thinking of bringing back Jason Terry

Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

Signing Terry would go over well with the fan base in Dallas

6. Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season

Jul 6, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 10:  Manu Ginobli #20 of the San Antonio Spurs gestures to a teammate in the game against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center on November 10, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Can the Spurs keep Patty Mills and Boris Diaw, too? Ginobili must still negotiate a contract

7. Report: Cavaliers-Nets Joe Johnson trade talks stagnate

Jul 6, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Nobody wants Anderson Varejao and his contract

8. Report: Nuggets hire Ed Pinckney as assistant coach

Jul 6, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Fred Hoiberg, Ed Pinckney AP

Michael Malone lands a good lieutenant

Top 10 NBA Player Searches