Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried

Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.

2. Stephen Curry will not stand for ‘slander’ of his Under Armour shoes

Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.

3. Derrick Rose ‘fine’ with coming off the bench for Team USA

Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.

4. Pau Gasol shreds Brazil at FIBA World Cup (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

pau gasol spain olympics Getty Images

This should make Bulls fans extremely happy.

5. Anderson Varejao, entering contract year, says he wants to remain with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao AP

Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.

6. Timofey Mozgov not pushing to leave Nuggets in trade to Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao

Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)

7. Jodie Meeks wants to bring some Kobe Bryant work ethic to Detroit

Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.

8. Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen

9. FIBA World Cup Day 3 roundup: Pau Gasol drops 26 on Brazil as Spain looks dominant

Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao, Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.

10. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

11. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

12. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

13. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

14. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches