Mark Jackson, Andrew Bogut and the media in a weird controversy triangle

Feb 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

2013 Global Games - Shanghai

Mark Jackson is mad at the media. Andrew Bogut was mad at Jackson. And the media is probably mad at the pregame food spread.

Bogut has missed the Warriors’ last three games, and before the third game, Jackson discussed the injury. Diamond Leung of the San Jose Mercury News:

Jackson said before the game he did not know how Bogut got hurt before offering these comments:

“As far as I know, it was not on the court,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t in practice. It wasn’t in a game. I’m not really sure. It may have been sleeping, and I say that in all seriousness, but it’s important for us to make sure we continue to treat him, it’s legitimate, and then let’s be smart with it. We’re looking ahead at a whole week of rest and recovery, and we need him.”

So, of course, the reporters then went to Bogut. Bogut, via Rusty Simmons of SFGate:

“I just wanted to address that the sleeping comment is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. I don’t know if I should read between the lines with it. The frustrating thing is: I don’t know when I hurt it against Utah (on Jan. 31). I just know after that game, it was a little sore. It hasn’t gotten better.”

“I don’t know where (the sleeping comment) came from or if he heard that from the trainer or from somebody, but it’s definitely not the case,” Bogut said. “It’s not like I just woke up after sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I have a bone bruise and swelling in my shoulder. That coming from sleeping is very highly unlikely, I believe.”

You can see why Bogut would be upset. He’s suffered multiple serious injuries and has developed a reputation for being injury prone – maybe even fragile. If people believed he got hurt sleeping, he’d look even worse.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

After the game, Jackson addressed the back-and-forth.

Jackson, via Bay Area Sports Guy:

I made a statement about Andrew Bogut. My statement said ‘legitimate.’ My statement said I had the same thing. My statement said that he was hurt. Please don’t twist my words. Understand this also — you will never see a problem in my locker room. You will not see a problem in my locker room, with my group.

Jackson later said he’d spoken with Bogut and that the issue was nothing, and I’ll take his word on that.

I’ll also guess Jackson will get over his gripes with the media, because it seems he’s just blaming the media to distract fans. As far as I’ve seen, the media didn’t spin Jackson’s comments to describe Bogut’s injury as phony (though, it’s possible a question to Bogut did just that and elicited his strong reaction).

But here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: Why was Jackson speculating Bogut hurt himself sleeping in the first place? Even if Jackson shouts from the rooftops that the injury is legitimate, I can’t imagine Bogut enjoys that theory being floated – especially if, as Bogut claims, it’s not true.

Latest Posts
  1. Clipper broadcaster accidentally casts MVP ballot for Most Improved player

Apr 23, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Memphis Grizzlies Getty Images

He has Durant, LeBron and Griffin on his MIP list… but it makes a good MVP ballot.

2. Allen Iverson documentary trailer debuts (VIDEO)

Apr 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Allen Iverson Allen Iverson

The documentary will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival this weekend.

3. Report: Hawks assistant Quin Snyder in mix for Jazz job, too

Apr 23, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Miami Heat Atlanta Hawks v Miami Heat

Utah needs a coach good at player development, Synder could be a fit.

4. PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards?

Apr 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Boston Celtics Getty Images

CSNWashington.com’s Wizards insider talks about the best story line in the playoffs so far.

5. Rockets coach Kevin McHale explains the difference between good and bad players

Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT

Kevin McHale AP

McHale jokes with a reporter by making a painfully obvious observation.

6. Ron Harper expects to interview for Knicks’ coaching vacancy

Apr 23, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT

Ron Harper Ron Harper

Harper worked as Pistons assistant for two years

7. Flip Saunders on coaching the Timberwolves himself: ‘You never know’

Apr 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Flip Saunders Flip Saunders

Timberwolves president coached Minnesota, Detroit and Washington before taking current job

8. Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide

Apr 23, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Two Getty Images

It would be a mistake, but the Pacers’ slide has everyone on edge in Indy.

9. Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player

Apr 23, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

Goran Dragic, Anthony Davis Goran Dragic, Anthony Davis

Lance Stephenson was second, Anthony Davis third, but they were well back of Dragic.

10. Baylor’s Isaiah Austin declares for NBA draft

Apr 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Traevon Jackson, Isaiah Austin Traevon Jackson, Isaiah Austin

7-foot-1, athletic with 3-point range — what’s not to like? A decent amount

11. Frank Vogel not afraid to make adjustments, but the one he didn’t make might make the difference

Apr 23, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

vogelhibbert

Frank Vogel resisted the urge to do anything dramatic and trusted his team to make little changes. It worked.

12. Mario Chalmers questionable for Game 2

Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Miami Heat Toronto Raptors v Miami Heat

Heat will need point guard more later than against Bobcats

13. Wednesday playoff previews: Rockets know they need a win

Apr 23, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

Dwight Howard, Chandler Parsons AP

Can Houston bounce back to even the series?

14. Report: Pacers’ Lance Stephenson, Evan Turner got in fight day before Game 1

Apr 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game One Getty Images

Teammates reportedly broke up the fight, but I bet they really wanted to step back and let it go for a while.

Wizards playing spoiler in East