Feb 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kevin Durant is going to be your MVP.
He could well lead his Oklahoma City Thunder back to the NBA Finals — Oklahoma City has set the bar in the West this season. If another team (San Antonio, Golden State, Memphis, Portland, the Clippers) has designs on reaching the Finals out of the West they are going to have to do it by besting OKC. Right now I’m not sure any of them can.
Durant is having a monster season — it was a typically very good season until Russell Westbrook needed another knee surgery. We all expected OKC to still be good but stumble a little, instead we have seen the best of Durant, who has shown an amazing ability to both score efficiently and create shots for the Thunder.
To try and get my head around what he’s done and how he’s going it, I went to the numbers from the NBA’s Sports VU cameras, plus the breakdowns from Synergy Sports, and those together those paint a fascinating picture.
• Durant leads NBA in points per touch (of guys who have played in at least 35 games) — he touches the ball 66 times a game (38th most often in the league) but scores .46 points per touch.
• While Durant averages 5.5 assists per game he creates 10.1 assist opportunities a game for his teammates (he sets guys up that often, they just don’t always hit the shot).
• Durant averages 5.5 drives a game that start outside 20 feet and get inside 10 feet, and he is shooting 58 percent on those plays.
• What Durant does a lot is pull up — takes a dribble or a few them pulls up from outside 10 feet. He does that 7.5 times a game and shoots 45.6 percent on those (eighth best in the NBA of the guys who take at least two a game). What you don’t want to let him doo is pull up off the dribble from three, he is shooting 46.9 percent on those.
• Fitting with that, the primary way Durant gets his shots is as the pick-and-roll ball handler (allowing him to drive or pull up) — he gets 20.6 percent of his offense that way and shoots 53 percent, scoring 1.04 points per possession on those plays.
• Durant also gives you a lot of isolation — 16.6 percent of his shots come that way and he shoots 45.6 percent overall, but he knocks down his threes in isolation (51.1 percent) and he gets to the line, so he scores an impressive 1.09 points per possession that way.
• He is a beast in transition — 15.4 percent of his shot attempts come that way and he shoots 64.3 percent.
• If you want a weakness, he averaged 4.6 points a game from catch-and-shoot opportunities and is shooting only 39.2 percent on those.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Unfortunately, neither of them can defend anyone.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Claver played two-plus seasons with the Blazers.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
The block happened in the Seattle Pro-Am game.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
All in one 15-minute video.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
If he develops a consistent three-point shot, it’s over.
Aug 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Bargnani is playing for the Italian national team.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Bryant has appeared in every 2K game.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
That’s what he does.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Sibert played four years in college.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Owning this may be better than seeing Space Jam 2 with Lebron James, if that project comes together.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a coach, a brother.” — Lakers’ co-owner Jim Buss on Byron Scott
Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hollins’ likes to slow things down.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT
I wouldn’t bet on him making the roster.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Will either of them take a discount for security?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Boozer is making the right play here.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
It shouldn’t linger into training camp if he doesn’t aggravate it.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
What did you expect he would say?
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49