Feb 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Kevin Durant is going to be your MVP.
He could well lead his Oklahoma City Thunder back to the NBA Finals — Oklahoma City has set the bar in the West this season. If another team (San Antonio, Golden State, Memphis, Portland, the Clippers) has designs on reaching the Finals out of the West they are going to have to do it by besting OKC. Right now I’m not sure any of them can.
Durant is having a monster season — it was a typically very good season until Russell Westbrook needed another knee surgery. We all expected OKC to still be good but stumble a little, instead we have seen the best of Durant, who has shown an amazing ability to both score efficiently and create shots for the Thunder.
To try and get my head around what he’s done and how he’s going it, I went to the numbers from the NBA’s Sports VU cameras, plus the breakdowns from Synergy Sports, and those together those paint a fascinating picture.
• Durant leads NBA in points per touch (of guys who have played in at least 35 games) — he touches the ball 66 times a game (38th most often in the league) but scores .46 points per touch.
• While Durant averages 5.5 assists per game he creates 10.1 assist opportunities a game for his teammates (he sets guys up that often, they just don’t always hit the shot).
• Durant averages 5.5 drives a game that start outside 20 feet and get inside 10 feet, and he is shooting 58 percent on those plays.
• What Durant does a lot is pull up — takes a dribble or a few them pulls up from outside 10 feet. He does that 7.5 times a game and shoots 45.6 percent on those (eighth best in the NBA of the guys who take at least two a game). What you don’t want to let him doo is pull up off the dribble from three, he is shooting 46.9 percent on those.
• Fitting with that, the primary way Durant gets his shots is as the pick-and-roll ball handler (allowing him to drive or pull up) — he gets 20.6 percent of his offense that way and shoots 53 percent, scoring 1.04 points per possession on those plays.
• Durant also gives you a lot of isolation — 16.6 percent of his shots come that way and he shoots 45.6 percent overall, but he knocks down his threes in isolation (51.1 percent) and he gets to the line, so he scores an impressive 1.09 points per possession that way.
• He is a beast in transition — 15.4 percent of his shot attempts come that way and he shoots 64.3 percent.
• If you want a weakness, he averaged 4.6 points a game from catch-and-shoot opportunities and is shooting only 39.2 percent on those.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
What about Chris Paul?
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Mavericks own bitter about how Fisher left Dallas
Nov 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
I’d take this rumor with a grain or 12 of salt, but…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:51 AM EST
Scottie Pippen made the list, too.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Parker gets the rookie treatment from the official.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Davis is averaging 17.7 shots per game.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Sager will receive clearance to fly in January.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Rose says he is feeling better about his health.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Michael Malone increases pressure on sometimes-combustible Cousins
Nov 27, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Celtics forward in final year of contract
Nov 27, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Clifford has benched Stephenson for consecutive fourth quarters
Nov 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Suns guard drives for reverse slam, cuts for monstrous alley-oop
Nov 27, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Very nice gesture
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
He missed seven games with a hamstring injury.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Beal’s max extension projects to pay more than $118 million over five years
Nov 27, 2014, 1:37 AM EST
LeBron James and the Cavaliers were good, Chase Budinger had the flub.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Ish Smith will stay on the roster.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
If the Cavs can defend like that on a regular basis they will be far more dangerous.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Bulls, Pacers, Bucks, Pistons to Western Conference
Nov 26, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
He also talks Milwaukee, doing away with conferences.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 4
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20