Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Boston is expected to be an active team at the trade deadline — they are a franchise looking ahead to the draft and rebuilding, plus they have some assets that are attractive to other teams.
Brandon Bass is apparently at the top of that list.
The veteran big man is generating a lot of calls to the Celtics’ offices trying to come up with a deal. That is what sources told Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
Celtics forward Brandon Bass was nearly traded once this season—to the Rockets, in a deal that would have brought back Houston center Omer Asik—and sources have told Sporting News that Bass remains the most-discussed player on the Boston roster ahead of next Thursday’s trade deadline…
“He is a good fit in a lot of places,” one league executive said. “He can start, he can come off the bench, he can make shots, he can play center against small lineups. A lot of teams need a guy like that.”
You should put Bass near the top of the list of guys likely to be moved in the next week (along with Arron Afflalo, another guy who could slide right in and help contending teams). He is averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds a game for Boston, and as you expect he is solid.
Boston is going to want draft picks or young prospects back in a deal — and that is where it gets challenging. With this draft coming up teams are hesitant to move picks, and young assets are needed in the NBA’s new salary cap reality. There may be fewer deals than in trade deadline’s past, but a few deals will get done.
And Bass could be one of those done deals.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8