Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Boston is expected to be an active team at the trade deadline — they are a franchise looking ahead to the draft and rebuilding, plus they have some assets that are attractive to other teams.
Brandon Bass is apparently at the top of that list.
The veteran big man is generating a lot of calls to the Celtics’ offices trying to come up with a deal. That is what sources told Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
Celtics forward Brandon Bass was nearly traded once this season—to the Rockets, in a deal that would have brought back Houston center Omer Asik—and sources have told Sporting News that Bass remains the most-discussed player on the Boston roster ahead of next Thursday’s trade deadline…
“He is a good fit in a lot of places,” one league executive said. “He can start, he can come off the bench, he can make shots, he can play center against small lineups. A lot of teams need a guy like that.”
You should put Bass near the top of the list of guys likely to be moved in the next week (along with Arron Afflalo, another guy who could slide right in and help contending teams). He is averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds a game for Boston, and as you expect he is solid.
Boston is going to want draft picks or young prospects back in a deal — and that is where it gets challenging. With this draft coming up teams are hesitant to move picks, and young assets are needed in the NBA’s new salary cap reality. There may be fewer deals than in trade deadline’s past, but a few deals will get done.
And Bass could be one of those done deals.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11