Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Boston is expected to be an active team at the trade deadline — they are a franchise looking ahead to the draft and rebuilding, plus they have some assets that are attractive to other teams.
Brandon Bass is apparently at the top of that list.
The veteran big man is generating a lot of calls to the Celtics’ offices trying to come up with a deal. That is what sources told Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
Celtics forward Brandon Bass was nearly traded once this season—to the Rockets, in a deal that would have brought back Houston center Omer Asik—and sources have told Sporting News that Bass remains the most-discussed player on the Boston roster ahead of next Thursday’s trade deadline…
“He is a good fit in a lot of places,” one league executive said. “He can start, he can come off the bench, he can make shots, he can play center against small lineups. A lot of teams need a guy like that.”
You should put Bass near the top of the list of guys likely to be moved in the next week (along with Arron Afflalo, another guy who could slide right in and help contending teams). He is averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds a game for Boston, and as you expect he is solid.
Boston is going to want draft picks or young prospects back in a deal — and that is where it gets challenging. With this draft coming up teams are hesitant to move picks, and young assets are needed in the NBA’s new salary cap reality. There may be fewer deals than in trade deadline’s past, but a few deals will get done.
And Bass could be one of those done deals.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43