Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Boston is expected to be an active team at the trade deadline — they are a franchise looking ahead to the draft and rebuilding, plus they have some assets that are attractive to other teams.
Brandon Bass is apparently at the top of that list.
The veteran big man is generating a lot of calls to the Celtics’ offices trying to come up with a deal. That is what sources told Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
Celtics forward Brandon Bass was nearly traded once this season—to the Rockets, in a deal that would have brought back Houston center Omer Asik—and sources have told Sporting News that Bass remains the most-discussed player on the Boston roster ahead of next Thursday’s trade deadline…
“He is a good fit in a lot of places,” one league executive said. “He can start, he can come off the bench, he can make shots, he can play center against small lineups. A lot of teams need a guy like that.”
You should put Bass near the top of the list of guys likely to be moved in the next week (along with Arron Afflalo, another guy who could slide right in and help contending teams). He is averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds a game for Boston, and as you expect he is solid.
Boston is going to want draft picks or young prospects back in a deal — and that is where it gets challenging. With this draft coming up teams are hesitant to move picks, and young assets are needed in the NBA’s new salary cap reality. There may be fewer deals than in trade deadline’s past, but a few deals will get done.
And Bass could be one of those done deals.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 2
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 12
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27