Feb 10, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
The guy in the general manager’s chair may have changed but the directive from ownership has not:
Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert had laid out the playoffs as the goal.
That may not happen this year — Cleveland is currently the 11 seed, four games out of the last playoff spot in the East. It is possible they climb back up, but the Cavs would be foolish to make short-term moves with an eye on the eight seed, where they get swept by the Pacers or Heat.
David Griffin is the guy in the interim GM chair since Chris Grant was fired, and he told the News-Herald look for the Cavs to be buyers at the trade deadline, but with the long term in mind.
“I don’t see how you get better and win more games selling,” Griffin said. “We’re going to buy to the extent that it makes us better for the long haul. I don’t think we’re going to do anything that’s an act of desperation. I think we’re going to be willing to buy the right asset at the right price. We are dedicated 100 percent from top to bottom to getting better and that’s what we’re going to do.”
Pretty generic GM stuff, but the idea is a good one — Cleveland needs to add talent to the roster. They tried that with the Luol Deng trade but right now there isn’t an infrastructure in place to take advantage of what Deng can do.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Cleveland needs a culture change, something that will be tough for Griffin to instill in a few months. But maybe he can make a move that starts to change the feeling in the locker room, and from there on the court. The problems in Cleveland are not going to be solved between now and the trade deadline, but Griffin might be able to take a step in the right direction.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 37
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17