Feb 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Not much has changed since the beginning of the season for the rebuilding Sixers, who all along have been willing to part with Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, and/or Thaddeus Young if the price was right.
Philadelphia is holding firm on asking for a first round draft pick in exchange at the moment, and will likely continue to do so up until the Feb. 20 trade deadline is upon us.
Turner is drawing the most interest, given the importance of wing players in today’s offenses along with the fact that he’s shown improvement every year, and is in just his fourth NBA season. And two teams specifically are rumored to be the most intrigued by potentially acquiring his services.
From Sam Amick of USA Today:
The fourth-year swingman is having a very productive season, averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game. But the price for that production in his forthcoming restricted free agency (if he’s extended the qualifying offer) is likely too rich for the 76ers’ blood, meaning they’d rather net a first-round draft pick in return for him and continue their rebuilding efforts with a more salary-cap friendly situation. One rival executive mentioned the San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Bobcats as possible destinations via trade, though both teams could also wait until the offseason to see if they could simply sign him then.
Dealing for someone mid-season who will be a restricted free agent this summer is tricky, because another team could always offer him more dollars than the one holding his rights is prepared to match.
If San Antonio or Charlotte don’t feel like giving up assets that meet the Sixers’ demands, they can simply overpay for Turner this summer. That’s not how the Spurs do things, but for a Bobcats team looking for relevance, and one that showed no fear in signing free agent Al Jefferson to a large deal prior to this season, it might make a bit more sense.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18