Metta World Peace discusses Marcus Smart incident

Feb 9, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

In the closing moments of a college basketball game between Oklahoma State and Texas Tech on Saturday, Marcus Smart went into the stands and shoved a fan after hearing something that crossed the line.

Metta World Peace has a unique perspective on an incident like this, considering he too went into the stands under similar circumstances in 2004 as a member of the Indiana Pacers. The infamous Malice in the Palace brawl ensued, costing World Peace (then Ron Artest) a suspension that totaled 86 games.

World Peace spoke about the situation with Smart before his Knicks took on the Thunder in Oklahoma City, and being much older now, had a little bit more perspective.

From Anthony Slater of NewsOK.com:

Q: Just because they give their money, does that give a fan the right to scream something?

A: If a fan screams something at me, I don’t know what that person has been through, you know. He could have or she could have grown up rough or maybe in a single family household. I don’t know what would make somebody scream negative things at somebody, maybe they’re just having fun. In a pro game, I’ve learned to accept it because they pay to watch us play and hey, I appreciate it. …

Q: Would you respond differently if it happened today?

A: (Joking) If you threw a beer at me, I probably would put you in a chokehold right now. And then we would go get some ice cream later, but I would probably tell you how much of an (expletive) you were.

World Peace can make jokes now, almost 10 years later — he’s matured and has had a fine, long-lasting NBA career that followed the suspension.

As long as this incident is an isolated one from Smart, it shouldn’t affect how he’s viewed by NBA executives. He just needs to learn from it the way World Peace says he has.

1. funkmong - Feb 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Metta might offer a portion of his acquired World Peace techniques to Mr. Smart, who seems likely to face more of the same as he journeys from NCAA to NBA. Passion like Smart has and displayed, is not a bad thing, just needs to be tempered to fit the circumstance.

2. nokoolaidcowboy - Feb 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Dude you were right there and you couldn’t find out what was said before coming on the air.

And yeah, Smart shouldn’t have done that but I hope ‘ol Horace will think twice before he thinks the price of admission allows him to say anything he wants to one if these guys.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Feb 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I heard he released a statement (or something) that he won’t be attending anymore games. Smart does seem to have a tad bit of an attitude problem though.

3. canadatude - Feb 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Do you really want to take advice from Metta World Peace?

• joe93955 - Feb 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Why would you even interview him was my thought.

4. campcouch - Feb 9, 2014 at 11:39 PM

he didn’t go into the stands,he tumbled of court during a play. they make it sound like he decided to wade through the masses and beat someone. maybe they should create a buffer between fans and the court,a padded wall or something. basketball players have gotten bigger and the court remains the same size. you have spectators courtside and behind the hoop, photographers crammed on the end of the court and directly behind the bench too. I couldn’t imagine the chaos if football was like this. some dude gets knocked out of bounds, in to the crowd and a drunkard says something about his mom…ha!

5. saint1997 - Feb 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Can’t really blame Smart too much here. Factoring in the anger at a string of losses for such a competitor I don’t blame him for responding to being called an n-word. I think shoving was actually a show of restraint

6. soul60 - Feb 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM

If some phony overweight racist calledl me a n word in a hateful over some BS basketball game.I would curse the peckerwood out too now !!

7. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand when you disrespect someone as a man you should be ready for repercusions but on the other hand you have to learn to deal with people like this. I have a bigger problem with the fan then the player. He is a grown man. He should know better. Obviously after hearing his story he is a little out there.

Probably never played sports himself and this is his game. Probably wont open up his mouth anymore even with the out of bounds line protecting him.

8. 00maltliquor - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

That wasn’t very Smart.

Can’t be doing that in the Big Show. Then again, if what that fat ufck said was true, I understand the reaction. I was on a basketball team that trotted out 4 Mexican starters in HS including myself and we were walloping on another team full of whiteys and one of the opposing players dad’s shouted out, “stop letting those f****** beaners run all over you!”. The refs kicked that guy out, but I was LMAO, it just inspired my to work ‘em over even harder. I had like a career high 8 blocks that game.

9. norcalkingsfan - Feb 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM

People who can’t control their emotions, and want to get physical over words, are animals. Be a better human, and ignore negativity.

• leimert - Feb 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM

That is also why ignorant people who can’t control their emotions use disparaging words……the pot calling the kettle black.

How Cleveland was fit for a King