Feb 9, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Blake Griffin won the 2011 Dunk Contest by doing something that had never been done previously, and won’t be duplicated again.
The man jumped over a car.
While we can debate whether or not that sounds a lot more impressive than it actually was, the vibe at Staples Center was electric when the car was brought onto the court, and the perfect pass from Baron Davis that he threw from inside the vehicle was an underrated part that contributed to the overall spectacle.
We’ll have to cherish that singular moment from Griffin as far as All-Star weekend goes, however, because he says that his participation in those types of events will forever be a thing of the past.
“I wouldn’t say it was a mistake [in 2011] because it was a great experience, but it’s something I would never do again,” said Griffin, who won the dunk contest that year.
“For me, All-Star Weekend is about getting a chance to rest as much as anything. With the All-Star Game alone you still have obligations almost all day Friday and you have some kind of an event Friday night and Saturday’s practice and appearances. Saturday night for me now has become the time where I hang out with my family and hang out with my friends and take it easy.”
There’s nothing at all wrong with Griffin’s decision. He gave his considerable contribution to Dunk Contest lore, and did so in spectacular fashion.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15