Feb 8, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Minnesota has struggled to stay healthy, and is already without big man Nikola Pekovic, who’s out with an ankle injury until at least the All-Star break. Things got exponentially more difficult when the news about Martin broke before the team tipped off at home against the Blazers on Saturday.
The Timberwolves announced just before pregame on Saturday night that shooting guard Kevin Martin suffered a broken left thumb and will be sidelined indefinitely. The release said an update will be provided at an appropriate time.
Martin took an X-ray this morning at TRIA Orthopedics in Bloomington, which revealed a non-displaced fracture of the distal phalanx in his left thumb. The injury happened in the final minutes of last night’s 98-91 loss to the Pelicans in New Orleans.
Love was out of Saturday’s contest as well with what was being described as a left quad contusion.
The Timberwolves were supposed to compete for a playoff spot in the West this season, but it’s tough without a full complement of the team’s best players. Minnesota is just five and a half games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the conference, so theoretically there’s still time if the team can get healthy and put together a run in the second half of the season.
Martin is averaging 19.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 32.3 minutes per contest.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 3
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25