Kings’ Isaiah Thomas calls Celtics’ Jerryd Bayless a ‘fake tough guy’ after on-court incident (VIDEO)
Feb 8, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
This is yet another example of why you don’t give a max contract to a player with the temperament of DeMarcus Cousins without the presence of any veterans on the roster to help with the team’s leadership. But this is only about him tangentially, so we’ll revisit this in a moment.
Late in the fourth quarter of the Celtics’ blowout win over the Kings on Friday, Sacramento’s Isaiah Thomas got into it with Boston’s Jerryd Bayless. It was a ridiculous incident that was completely unnecessary, and also one that was entirely Thomas’ fault.
After Bayless fell, Thomas stood over him for an extra few seconds, preventing Bayless from standing up. Bayless gave Thomas a shove, and Thomas overreacted to the point where the two needed to be separated by their respective teammates.
The nonsense from Thomas continued once the game was over.
“I don’t like him,” Thomas said of his former AAU teammate. “End of story. He’s a fake tough guy.”
So where does all this animosity come from?
“He knows,” Thomas said.
And why doesn’t Thomas like Bayless?
“Because I don’t,” Thomas said. “That’s why.”
It sounds like there may be some history here, at least in Thomas’ eyes. And as it’s always worth noting anytime players go at each other, some things may have gone on during the game that we simply didn’t see.
But getting back to Cousins, he’s the team’s best player and face of the franchise, given both his level of talent and that huge contract. He’s continually shown a propensity to get into these kinds of situations and then keep it going with silly comments afterward, most recently calling the Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy a “clown” in continuing to hold a grudge for an incident that occurred last season.
The Kings as an organization let Cousins behave this way without repercussion, so Thomas has no reason to believe that he can’t do the same. Sacramento, by the way, lost to a Celtics team playing without Rajon Rondo, and trailed by as many as 18 points.
Thomas shot 9-of-23 from the field and finished with 24 points in 39 minutes. Bayless, meanwhile, was a very efficient 7-of-9 in getting his 19 points in just 18 minutes off the bench.
Maybe that was the source of the frustration.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10