Report: Sixers will trade Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes but want first-round pick

Feb 7, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

We are still in the “I’m going to see how much I can get” phase for general managers in trade talks — with the trade deadline two weeks away they still think somewhere another team will flip and give them what they want. The “I’ll take this because it’s the best I can do” phase has not kicked in yet, and that’s when deals get done.

With that, we bring you a note on the Sixers at the trade deadline and their efforts to move Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes, as reported by Marc Stein of ESPN.

The Sixers, sources say, continue to hold out hope that they can acquire a future first-round pick for either forward Evan Turner or center Spencer Hawes before the Feb. 20 trade deadline. Both players become free agents in July.

And therein lies the Sixers problem — if you are a GM that really wants Evan Turner you can go after him this summer as a restricted free agent and not have to give up any picks. Hawes is an unrestricted free agent.

The other issue is opposing GMs are seeing through Turner. Yes, he is averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists a game, but those are stats fueled by the Sixers fast pace and the volume of shots Turner takes. He’s shooting 28 percent from three and has a true shooting percentage of 50.9, which is below the league average. You’re going to give up a first rounder for that?

It will be interesting to see how long the Sixers stick to their guns on demanding a first rounder. Beyond that, it will be interesting to see what kind of offers will come in for Turner this summer — he’s going to get offers, but not ones on the level he would have five to 10 years ago when volume scorers often got paid more than they should have.

1. 1forest1 - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Tanking at it’s fullest

• psubeerman21 - Feb 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM

What’s the alternative? Re-sign them? We drafted Noel last year, and I would assume he would be the center moving forward. Turner is a complete waste of a player, not worth the deal he will get in free agency. Or maybe we should let them walk and get nothing.

2. mungman69 - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

The Sixers may be tanking but there are several teams including the Celtics and the Lakers that are right on their heals. Maybe if the Sixers do a sign and trade with either Turner or Hawes (he’s 7 feet tall) they can pick up a low 1st round pick or a couple of high 2nd round picks.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I don’t think the Lakers are tanking. They’re a great combination of bad and injured.

• jbink2585 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Plus Kobe will we be back and that alon will give Lakers more wins. I do agree celts and cavs are right there.

• casualcommenter - Feb 8, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Agreed. Lakers have “accidentally” tanked this year, in part by Dwight Howard leaving, in part by being in the brutal Western Conference, and in part by having a comically long list of injuries.

3. imthedudedude - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Suns might be interested in both. But we ain’t giving up more than okafor and one of those first rounders. Prob the pacers pick. Take it or leave it,….Mr McDonough, you have GMs on hold, lines 1-7, no rush.

• sportsnut101 - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I wouldnt trade for turner
      U can always trade 1st round this yr to next yr

• bruiserbrigade - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Why would they give up a draft pick for this guy? Did you not read the article? Besides, if they were willing to do that, it would be done already. It just doesn’t make sense for reasons outlined in the article.

• sumkat - Feb 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM

He said for both. If Im the Sixers, I take that deal (Hawes and Turner for the Pacers 1st and Okafor’s expiring). From there, they can either decide they’ve done enough to tank, or try to move Thad Young (who I’d love to see stay, but I think they would get a late 1st for)

But no, the sixers are not getting a 1st for Hawes or Turner….but a package of the 2, I could see, although I’d try to push for the Suns pick, or the Wizards pick instead of the Pacers pick

4. whoisrdymlz - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Welll, they can want in one hand and hang on to Turner with the other.

• jbink2585 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM

They would probably have no problem hanging onto him, why give him away no need. Hinkie wont get strong armed teams want to improve now for the playoff push, not the wait until the offseason someone will be desperate enough to give up a 1 and if not it all good we still have 2 first round picks and a boatload of cap space. Plus adding Nerlens next year is like have 3 first round picks.

• spursareold - Feb 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I’m not sure Turner even helps a playoff team.

5. 00maltliquor - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Stupid. No team is gonna give them a top 15 pick so why trade away good players that are developing chemistry for some late picks that you’d be lucky to have even turn out to be close to as good as the guys you are giving up!? Both those guys aren’t long in the tooth, makes no dang sense. People put waaaay to much stock in draft picks and youth.

6. ddpenny - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

it always puzzles me why would the sixers want to trade this guy evan turner. an experienced versatile SF- a rare commodity in the league and he plays unselfish basketball, a good compliment to a young blossoming pg MCW. 1st round pick for the a shot at what? another player with the same caliber at his point of his carrier?
    trade spencer hawes, but goodluck.

• psubeerman21 - Feb 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

You are puzzled, huh? Let me help. They want to trade him because he isn’t worth the 40+ million it is going to take to resign him, assuming some ass team makes him an offer as a restricted free agent. He isn’t worth 20 or 10 million either. He is the best player on a terrible team. He is a awful shooter at 43%. He is a total bust for where he was taken in the draft. If he was on a good team, he would be a bench player. All he is, or ever will be, is a role player. He is the definition of expendable. That help you any?

• spursareold - Feb 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

He’s more or less a rotation quality player, but they used the #2 overall pick on him. I guess they don’t want the reminder of that on their roster.

• sumkat - Feb 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Because he plays best with the ball in his hands, which is the exact opposite of what you want with MCW (unless and until MCW gets a better jumper)

He’s a solid overall player, and I think would be ideal as a 3rd option, or leader of a 2nd unit on a good team, or as the guy controlling the ball on a bad team lacking that piece. But at this point, none of the good teams are wiling to be the first to give up a first, and he’s not worth any of the bad teams picks

• jbink2585 - Feb 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Why trade him, hes inconsistent, he still lack a consistent jumper, extremely Jekyll hyde type of player. He has shown flashes this year of improvement, but many believe and id agree he just more a product of the sixers run and gun system being condusive to his skill set. Let him go bc your cornerstones are going to be Nerlens and Mcw with much cap space and 2 first round picks there is no need for ET. He is a nice bench player or role player, and he will not be worth the money he will get.

7. sumkat - Feb 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Turner is what he is. Unless there is an injury somewhere, and someone gets desperate, you aren’t getting a #1 for him. I think he’s worth a late 1, and I think the whole RFA thing is overblown. If anything, if I’m a team making a run, that’s a good thing. If he plays as well as I hope or better, we can match any offer out there. If not, we can let him walk and at least clear the books some. If I’m Philly, I don’t move him until right at the deadline unless someone give me that pick. Let someone else set the market, if it’s not at the price you want

Hawes I think has value for a certain team. If you can put him on a team with a strong 4 that’s better in the post, he’s an ideal 5. He can stretch the floor and give other bigs space, and is an excellent ball handler for a big. I don’t think they’ll get a 1st for him (most of the teams he’d fit well either don’t have a pick, or the pick is too high for him), but I think he’d be fair value in the right situation for a late first.

I think in the end they try to find a spot they can package them for a 1st and an expiring contract. Don’t know if it will work out, but there are a few possible spots. Without knowing their pick situation, they’d be good pick ups for the LA teams, the Suns, NO (Hawes would be the perfect 5 for Davis) and a few others.

I’m not saying either are word beaters. But both could thrive if only asked to do what they do well in a system (both are asked to do much more right now), which generally is worth a late 1st. The market is just all out of whack because of the hype behind this years class

8. wowwowbad - Feb 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Turner is a waste it’s obvious especially when you look at his performance despite this year. Players often play so much harder on contract years, so I don’t think he can finally sort of “break out” again after he get a big extension.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches