Feb 7, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
With three straight trips to the Finals and a fourth potentially looming this season, it’s easy to say now that LeBron James joining Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat in free agency was the right decision.
But it didn’t start out that way.
There was a real backlash against the Heat in that first season, and against James in particular for leaving Cleveland in the manner that he did in order to chase championships with two other All-Star talents. And at one point early in that first season, James says he and Wade questioned whether or not he had made the right choice.
Check out what LeBron has to say in the video clip above, which is an excerpt of a longer piece that will air Feb. 17 on NBA TV to cap off the league’s All-Star weekend coverage.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10