Feb 7, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Pero Antic was a guy not a lot of NBA fans have seen much of, the Hawks reserve big man who is really a stretch 4/5 (57 percent of his shots have been threes), but he’s a guy with real potential in the league.
He’s also a guy with a stress fracture in his right ankle, which is going to keep him out of the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night of All Star Weekend in New Orleans.
Phoenix big man Miles Plumlee has been selected to replace Antic in the Friday night showcase of the league’s best, the league announced Friday.
It’s a good selection — no disrespect to Antic intended, but Plumlee should have been in the pool of players to start with. Plumlee is averaging 9.3 points a game on 51 percent shooting, plus pulling down 8.6 rebounds a game. He has been a solid big man in the middle, something to balance out the great play Phoenix has gotten from Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe (when he’s healthy).
Plumlee will play for Team Hill, selected by Grant Hill of TNT and coached by Nate McMillan of the Indiana Pacers.
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 20
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 70
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 23
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 13
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 30
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 47
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 58
- Report: Lakers finalizing trade for Rockets’ Jeremy Lin 70