Feb 7, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
It’s not about this season, it’s about the next five or 10 in Boston.
So with Rajon Rondo sore — he missed practice on Thursday because of it, he’s been a busy man since his return — it is very possible he doesn’t play on Friday. Teams want to take care of their franchise face player, and if the Celtics lose another game in the quest for a lottery pick, that’s not the worst thing ever either.
Which is why it wasn’t a surprise that coach Brad Stevens said don’t expect Rondo to suit up against the Kings Friday night, as reported by ESPNBoston. By the way, you may not see Avery Bradley either.
Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens said no final determination has been made, but that it “doesn’t look like” Rajon Rondo will play against the Sacramento Kings on Friday night at TD Garden.
Rondo experienced general soreness after Wednesday’s win in Philadelphia and was held out of practice Thursday. Making his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub on Friday afternoon, Stevens said both Rondo and backcourt mate Avery Bradley (ankle) are both questionable against the Kings.
“I don’t know how many games he’s played since Jan. 17, but it’s quite a few — maybe eight or nine games since then, so you’re going to have just the fatigue on your other muscles and just general soreness that he has,” Stevens said of Rondo, who has logged 205 minutes of court time in eight appearances since his return last month. “I think it doesn’t look like he’ll play [Friday] based on this early morning report that I got. We’ll hear final word when we get ready for our quick walkthrough at TD Garden at 4:45. Then Avery is also going to be determined later on tonight and that’s probably a better chance than Rondo, but still 50/50 that he would play.”
Adjust your fantasy lineups accordingly.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1