Feb 7, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
It’s not about this season, it’s about the next five or 10 in Boston.
So with Rajon Rondo sore — he missed practice on Thursday because of it, he’s been a busy man since his return — it is very possible he doesn’t play on Friday. Teams want to take care of their franchise face player, and if the Celtics lose another game in the quest for a lottery pick, that’s not the worst thing ever either.
Which is why it wasn’t a surprise that coach Brad Stevens said don’t expect Rondo to suit up against the Kings Friday night, as reported by ESPNBoston. By the way, you may not see Avery Bradley either.
Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens said no final determination has been made, but that it “doesn’t look like” Rajon Rondo will play against the Sacramento Kings on Friday night at TD Garden.
Rondo experienced general soreness after Wednesday’s win in Philadelphia and was held out of practice Thursday. Making his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub on Friday afternoon, Stevens said both Rondo and backcourt mate Avery Bradley (ankle) are both questionable against the Kings.
“I don’t know how many games he’s played since Jan. 17, but it’s quite a few — maybe eight or nine games since then, so you’re going to have just the fatigue on your other muscles and just general soreness that he has,” Stevens said of Rondo, who has logged 205 minutes of court time in eight appearances since his return last month. “I think it doesn’t look like he’ll play [Friday] based on this early morning report that I got. We’ll hear final word when we get ready for our quick walkthrough at TD Garden at 4:45. Then Avery is also going to be determined later on tonight and that’s probably a better chance than Rondo, but still 50/50 that he would play.”
Adjust your fantasy lineups accordingly.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32