Feb 7, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Indiana has signed Andrew Bynum but they are not going to rush him along, coach Frank Vogel has said Bynum will not play until sometime after the All-Star break. They don’t need to rush because they already have the best record in the East and the best defense in the NBA. Anything they get from him is just sprinkles on top of the icing already on the cake. Bynum was a low risk pickup because if he does workout he improves their bench and if he doesn’t they don’t pay him much and he doesn’t join Miami.
Bynum went through his first practice with the Pacers Friday and spoke to the media afterward, above is the conversation. Here are a few highlights.
• What did Bynum do with his time off between the Cavaliers and Pacers? “Really just relaxing at home, that’s it.” But he’s been keeping a workout regimen going, right? “Not really.” He did say he tried to eat right. So there’s that.
• “Getting comfortable with the guys, that’s the biggest part. Then when I’m given an opportunity go play hard.”
• To his critics that say he doesn’t love the game. “That’s what their going to say, I can’t fight it. All I can do is just go play hard and put points by my name.”
• “My motivation right now is the opportunity to win, because that’s the most fun, and just being around a positive atmosphere.”
• On his time in Cleveland, who traded him to Chicago (who cut him). “The atmosphere over there wasn’t one that promoted positive energy and wanting to come in, and it was just tough.” Spoken like a guy who played and grew up under Phil Jackson.
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 14
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 6
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0