Feb 7, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Indiana has signed Andrew Bynum but they are not going to rush him along, coach Frank Vogel has said Bynum will not play until sometime after the All-Star break. They don’t need to rush because they already have the best record in the East and the best defense in the NBA. Anything they get from him is just sprinkles on top of the icing already on the cake. Bynum was a low risk pickup because if he does workout he improves their bench and if he doesn’t they don’t pay him much and he doesn’t join Miami.
Bynum went through his first practice with the Pacers Friday and spoke to the media afterward, above is the conversation. Here are a few highlights.
• What did Bynum do with his time off between the Cavaliers and Pacers? “Really just relaxing at home, that’s it.” But he’s been keeping a workout regimen going, right? “Not really.” He did say he tried to eat right. So there’s that.
• “Getting comfortable with the guys, that’s the biggest part. Then when I’m given an opportunity go play hard.”
• To his critics that say he doesn’t love the game. “That’s what their going to say, I can’t fight it. All I can do is just go play hard and put points by my name.”
• “My motivation right now is the opportunity to win, because that’s the most fun, and just being around a positive atmosphere.”
• On his time in Cleveland, who traded him to Chicago (who cut him). “The atmosphere over there wasn’t one that promoted positive energy and wanting to come in, and it was just tough.” Spoken like a guy who played and grew up under Phil Jackson.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7