Rudy Gay says he’s unsure if he will test free agent market this summer

Feb 6, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Rudy Gay has looked at home in Sacramento.

The notoriously inefficient Gay has changed in the California capital, averaging 20.8 points a game with a spectacular true shooting percentage of 60.8 percent (it was 46.8 percent in Toronto) and a PER of 22.2 (14.9, right at the league average in Toronto).

The question now on Gay is the one the Clash put to all of us years ago: Will he stay or will he go now? Gay has a $19.3 million player option this summer.

Gay wouldn’t tip his hand speaking to ESPN.

“I’m not sure (if he’ll opt out). I have to go into the summer with my people, think about everything, weigh out the pros and cons. I don’t know yet. But Sacramento’s been great to me thus far. Obviously I’m trying to tune it all out right now. All I can think about right now is how great Sacramento’s been to me.”

My guess is he doesn’t use his option and decides to take the money and stay in Sacramento another year (at least). If he watched the free agent market last summer he saw that the impact of more advanced-stats friendly GMs and a stricter luxury tax meant there wasn’t much of a market for volume scorers. (Despite his play since the trade, that label would still apply to teams thinking of grabbing Gay.)

While he would get the security of multiple years he would take a massive pay cut. Sometimes the bird in the hand is one to keep.

And if he plays like this for another season, it will not be just the Kings looking to give him a nice payday in 2015.

1. jolink653 - Feb 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

The Kings have been quietly building a pretty solid core to their team over the last couple years. Cousins is a beast down low and pair him with a developing Isaiah Thomas and Ben McLemore, plus an established scorer in Rudy Gay, who has looked great since the trade, and you have a pretty good team. They’re not quite in the West race yet, but I don’t think they’re too far off provided Cousins keeps maturing

2. jcmeyer10 - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Sacramento is all of a sudden an intriguing team with an owner who seems to be competent. If he thinks he can do this efficiency thing for one more year he will cash in big in 2015.

3. pfic15 - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Gay wouldn’t get anywhere near that on the open market. He’s staying put.

4. thomaskouns - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I don’t get all the ‘hype’ around the Kings. They’re tied for the 7th worst record in the league and are 3 – 7 in their last 10 games.

• poundtherock - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

DeMarcus Cousins was out 7 of those games and Rudy Gay was out 5 of those games. If you watch them when Cousins, Gay, and Thomas are healthy, they are competitive each and every night.

Also, like him or hate him, Cousins is getting better and better literally each game. He’s the best center in the NBA already. Smaller, agile centers can’t handle his power. Larger, defensive defenders can’t handle his quickness and skill set.

• trickybastard - Feb 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I’m a Kings fan and I don’t see that much hype. Well, they actually talk about our team on ESPN and show highlights that aren’t the other team. If you call that basic level of coverage “hype” then yes we are getting hype.

Kings have some good young talent and headed for a nice draft pick in a talented draft class. Before Gay and Cousins got injured, they were playing at nearly .500 for the first time in years with noticeable room for improvement. It’s worthy of discussion

• trickybastard - Feb 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Ah, and I just realized you were the same one that posted a similar comment about the Kings in another post.

Do a little research about your 2-8 and 3-7 statements. Cousins was out most of the games with an ankle injury and Gay with an achilles during that span. That’s a lot of production

5. nickmiller63 - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

There’s not really that much “hype,” or hype, around Sacramento, but there is a bit of hope. When healthy, they’ve been darned competitive for the past couple of months. Not playoff material, but still reason to hope.

• borderline1988 - Feb 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Sacramento is the kind of team that could beat anyone on a given night, because the talents of Cousins, Gay, Thomas, etc are very hard to stop (even by the best defenses) when they’re on their game and playing efficiently.

But consistency and maturity issues will keep this team from ever really contending, at least for the next few years.

6. tomtravis76 - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

He is not even 30 yet. He will be enjoying sac-town for another season and about 20 million. He has about one more really big deal left and a very nice vet contract for his late 30s before retiring.

7. spursareold - Feb 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Gay should probably play out the deal. So many teams now use the advanced stats, I don’t see him ever getting another deal like he has now.

8. onlyavoice - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I wouldn’t opt out if I were him either.
    Isn’t the $$$ the 1st thing every NBA player thinks about.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches