Feb 6, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Rudy Gay has looked at home in Sacramento.
The notoriously inefficient Gay has changed in the California capital, averaging 20.8 points a game with a spectacular true shooting percentage of 60.8 percent (it was 46.8 percent in Toronto) and a PER of 22.2 (14.9, right at the league average in Toronto).
The question now on Gay is the one the Clash put to all of us years ago: Will he stay or will he go now? Gay has a $19.3 million player option this summer.
“I’m not sure (if he’ll opt out). I have to go into the summer with my people, think about everything, weigh out the pros and cons. I don’t know yet. But Sacramento’s been great to me thus far. Obviously I’m trying to tune it all out right now. All I can think about right now is how great Sacramento’s been to me.”
My guess is he doesn’t use his option and decides to take the money and stay in Sacramento another year (at least). If he watched the free agent market last summer he saw that the impact of more advanced-stats friendly GMs and a stricter luxury tax meant there wasn’t much of a market for volume scorers. (Despite his play since the trade, that label would still apply to teams thinking of grabbing Gay.)
While he would get the security of multiple years he would take a massive pay cut. Sometimes the bird in the hand is one to keep.
And if he plays like this for another season, it will not be just the Kings looking to give him a nice payday in 2015.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4