Feb 6, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Rudy Gay has looked at home in Sacramento.
The notoriously inefficient Gay has changed in the California capital, averaging 20.8 points a game with a spectacular true shooting percentage of 60.8 percent (it was 46.8 percent in Toronto) and a PER of 22.2 (14.9, right at the league average in Toronto).
The question now on Gay is the one the Clash put to all of us years ago: Will he stay or will he go now? Gay has a $19.3 million player option this summer.
“I’m not sure (if he’ll opt out). I have to go into the summer with my people, think about everything, weigh out the pros and cons. I don’t know yet. But Sacramento’s been great to me thus far. Obviously I’m trying to tune it all out right now. All I can think about right now is how great Sacramento’s been to me.”
My guess is he doesn’t use his option and decides to take the money and stay in Sacramento another year (at least). If he watched the free agent market last summer he saw that the impact of more advanced-stats friendly GMs and a stricter luxury tax meant there wasn’t much of a market for volume scorers. (Despite his play since the trade, that label would still apply to teams thinking of grabbing Gay.)
While he would get the security of multiple years he would take a massive pay cut. Sometimes the bird in the hand is one to keep.
And if he plays like this for another season, it will not be just the Kings looking to give him a nice payday in 2015.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 20
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 68
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 52
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4