Feb 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
The Denver Nuggets have struggled up front this season — opposing centers are shooting 50.6 percent against the Nuggets and teams are averaging 44.9 points a game in the paint against them, 25th in the NBA.
A big part of the reason for that is JaVale McGee has only played five games for them this season due to a stress fracture in his left leg.
That fracture could keep McGee sidelined the rest of the season, reports Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo Sports.
McGee, 26, has been seeking further medical consultation on the injury, which hasn’t been able to heal properly this season, league sources said.
A final decision on his status could come in the next several days.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and earlyFriday games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Nuggets have run their way to a 24-23 record, but in the West that makes them the 10 seed 3.5 games out of the playoffs. Up front J.J. Hickson, Anthony Randolph, Kenneth Faried and Timofey Mozgov have filled in but none of them are as big nor are they the dynamic athlete that McGee is.
McGee isn’t going anywhere, he is owed more than $23 million over the two seasons after this. Hopefully the Nuggets will be able to get him on the court next season.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8