Feb 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
The Denver Nuggets have struggled up front this season — opposing centers are shooting 50.6 percent against the Nuggets and teams are averaging 44.9 points a game in the paint against them, 25th in the NBA.
A big part of the reason for that is JaVale McGee has only played five games for them this season due to a stress fracture in his left leg.
That fracture could keep McGee sidelined the rest of the season, reports Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo Sports.
McGee, 26, has been seeking further medical consultation on the injury, which hasn’t been able to heal properly this season, league sources said.
A final decision on his status could come in the next several days.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and earlyFriday games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Nuggets have run their way to a 24-23 record, but in the West that makes them the 10 seed 3.5 games out of the playoffs. Up front J.J. Hickson, Anthony Randolph, Kenneth Faried and Timofey Mozgov have filled in but none of them are as big nor are they the dynamic athlete that McGee is.
McGee isn’t going anywhere, he is owed more than $23 million over the two seasons after this. Hopefully the Nuggets will be able to get him on the court next season.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 0
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 2
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37