Report: Damian Lillard to participate in Dunk Contest, could compete in five events All-Star Weekend
Feb 6, 2014, 12:56 AM EST
There’s going to be some star power in the dunk contest this year after all.
In fact, Damian Lillard could be using his star power at pretty much every event All-Star weekend (Feb. 14-16 in New Orleans).
Lillard, the All-Star guard of the Portland Trail Blazers and the reigning Rookie of the Year, for sure will be part of the dunk contest — and maybe a whole lot more, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
Portland Trail Blazers All-Star guard Damian Lillard has accepted the league’s invitation to participate in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest during All-Star Weekend in New Orleans, a league source informed CSNNW.com…
The NBA has broached Lillard with an attractive, unprecedented opportunity. They’ve asked him to consider the Three-Point Shooting Contest as well, another source relayed to CSNNW.com.
So far, the reigning Rookie of the Year is committed to defending his Skills Challenge title; he’s competing in the Dunk Contest, the Rising Stars Challenge and the All-Star game. No player in the history of the game has ever competed in all five All-Star Weekend events in the same weekend.
Who is competing in the All-Star Saturday Night events — the Skills Challenge, the Three Point Contest and the Dunk Contest — will be announced on Thursday on the TNT Inside the NBA pregame show at 7 p.m. Eastern. Some dunk contest names are leaking out.
Five events sounds like a lot for a weekend that is supposed to be a bit of a break in the schedule — but why not? He’s only 23, and if he wants to build his name and brand recognition this is one heck of a way to do it.
I now want Lillard to go for five. Of course, I’m not the one who has to do the work, but let’s hope he goes for it.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 27
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20