Raptors Kyle Lowry called for offensive foul on made three, ejected for reaction (VIDEO)

Feb 6, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

That was a bad call. A kind of obviously bad call.

Down six and going for a three in the final 30 seconds of the Raptors eventual loss to the Kings, Lowry was freed up for a catch-and-shoot three and got called for the offensive foul.

What the referee misjudged was something they were specifically told to start cracking down on last year — players (Dwyane Wade and others did this a lot) would kick out a leg in front of them as they shot a jumper, hoping to draw contact from whomever was contesting then they would fall and try to draw the call. In those cases it was the shooter not making a basketball play and initiating the foul. Except that’s not what Lowry did at all — that was good form, and while his legs came out in front of him it was a natural part of his shooting motion. That should have been a four-point play, not an offensive foul. Not even close.

The technical Lowry got is something the league calls regularly now (most prominently LeBron James has gotten a couple of these recently, including one Wednesday night) — if you run away from the referee after a call that is considered a demonstrable action trying to show up the referee with your displeasure. They call that pretty consistently (Jeff Van Gundy hates it but they are consistent). I wish there was a little more leeway here — a guy running the length of the floor on a first quarter charging call is different from a guy frustrated with a call in the final 30 seconds of a close game. Emotions are up, we want to see guys express those emotions. That seemed thin-skinned by the referees for me, but it wasn’t out of line with what they had been doing. (Lowry already had a technical, so with that one he was ejected.)

To be clear, Toronto didn’t lose this game because of this call, they lost this game because DeMarcus Cousins and the Kings’ front line overwhelmed them in the first half and had Sacramento up by 22 at one point. However, this call ended Toronto’s comeback — if that is allowed to be a four point play then we have a two-point game with 25 seconds left and the end plays out differently. Sacramento probably still wins, but the Raptors had a chance. That bad call killed their chances.

1. redbullenergydrink - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

That’s tuuurible. – C. Barkley.

• av416 - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I’ve never seen a team get less calls in a game than the Raps. It’s as if every player on the court for them is getting the Shaq treatment, unfortunately were getting as many calls as he did.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM

NBA refs have this innate ability leave you scratching your head on a more frequent basis than the refs of ANY other sports. There is almost zero consistency in the way games are officiated from start to finish, and as for finishes…REFS NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACK LATE IN THE 4TH QTR AND LET THE PLAYERS PLAY. Yes, whistles still need to be blown late in games if the infraction is substantially evident, but you just cannot be the guy who makes ticky-tack BS calls right in the guts of the game. Just don’t be that guy.

3. bostonian13 - Feb 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Exactly why the NBA blows.

4. raidmagic - Feb 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Hands down that is in the top 5 worse foul calls in the history of the NBA

5. phillyfan11 - Feb 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Just an awful call.

6. itswhereyourmindsat - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM

nba refs are by far the worst. I applaud Joakim Noah for what he did

7. imgoingtowichita - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

WOW! New commissioner and same Las Vegas owned referring. I guess the Kings wouldn’t have covered with the made 3.

8. nycalldayz - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Terrible call. Can’t blame Lowry for his reaction.

9. dannymac17 - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I replayed this like 15 times and I have yet to see what the ref saw.

Worst call I have seen in ANY sport in a long long time.

10. mrp0po - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Rudy Gay misses the technical foul free throw.

“BALL DONT LIE!” – Rasheed Wallace

11. davidly - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Stern just laughs and spreads his wings.

12. nicofthenorthstar - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for my daily reminder of why the NBA is not worth my time. Casey should have gone ballistic on that official. Clearly Toronto was not going to be allowed to win that game; who cares if the coach takes a T?

13. lucifershuttlesworth - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Horribly inept officiating. Especially after sending Sacramento to the free throw line 51 times.

14. riterboy - Feb 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM

That’s odd, the refs called a foul on the Pistons when Wade kicked his leg out the other night. They also called a foul on Andre Drummond when Wade literally walked into him and flopped to the floor. I guess some things never change.

15. norcalkingsfan - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Kings fans here (also a huge critic of NBA officiating). I was at the game last night and was puzzled by the call as well. Didn’t learn what was called till I got home and watched the highlights. The call was atrocious; no doubt about it. Absolutely unacceptable.

That being said, I couldn’t care less. The league owes us more than one.

16. antistratfordian - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I don’t know… it kind of looked like Lowry intentionally brought his knee up into the defender on purpose. It looks suspicious.

But they should let players run off because that prevents them from doing something worse. The league obviously prefers for them to stand there like a robot and unemotionally accept even the most ridiculous BS – but that’s unrealistic.

• ddpenny - Feb 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM

ja-ja-ja-jive turkey

• antistratfordian - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

You are the only other person on here that I’ve seen use that phrase besides me. Well done.

17. haaaaasoooooo - Feb 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Wait. Was this a professional basketball game?
    With referees that get PAID? No biggy. I got the same call last night in rec league. Of course, I helped the ref with the call by yelling “foul” as I hammered the shooter. The ref musta thought I was getting fouled, cuz I ended up shooting two on the other end. That $10 I gave him before the game was soooooo worth it. We both laughed about it after the game over beers. He bought!

18. bjswoosh805 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Yeah can’t really blame the ref for this and im not saying this is an offensive foul either. i think the problem is once players started intentionally shooting for fouls instead of actually trying to make the shot, it influenced and changed the way refs’ view of these type of plays. Unforunately, Lowry was the victim here.

19. uhraw - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Kings had 51 free throw attempts so don’t tell me this game wasn’t rigged! the referees were obviously paid off. someone had a very large bet against the raptors and the refs were paid to make sure that bet was won.

20. haaaaasoooooo - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Wow that is a JOKE of a call!!!

21. knoxxlive - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM

He’ll hear that tomarrow and TOR coulda one smh seen worst come backs

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches