Feb 6, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
The Lakers, already far and away leading the NBA in man-games lost to injury, continue to pad that lead. Not that they want to.
Just as they got pretty much their entire point guard rotation back from injury, they have lost Nick Young for at least two weeks with a “non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee,” according to Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell. Swaggy P will be re-evaluated in two weeks, he could be out longer.
Young injured his knee when fouled during the Lakers win over the Cavaliers on Wednesday night.
While he is a streaky gunner with no conscience, Young provided shot creation that the Lakers will miss.
For those of you trying to keep track of the Lakers’ roster comings and goings… good luck. Back now are Steve Nash, Steve Blake (who had a triple-double against the Cavaliers) and Jordan Farmar. The guys out for the Lakers are Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks, Xavier Henry and now Young.
The Lakers have re-signed Shawne Williams to a 10-day contract to add a healthy body to the roster. Wise move, as at the end of the Lakers win Wednesday night they were out of eligible players and had to leave Robert Sacre in the game after he fouled out — with each additional foul a technical foul would have been added to the penalty. It’s been a long time since an NBA team had to go that route.
But that’s pretty much how the Lakers season has been.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6