Feb 5, 2014, 2:20 AM EST
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while thinking this guy is tougher than you would be in his shoes…
Charlotte Bobcats defense. Here’s a little secret — Golden State’s offense isn’t as good as you think it is. In their last five games the Warriors are shooting 39.5 percent overall and 32.2 percent from three, scoring 95.8 points per 100 possessions in that time, 27th in the NBA (on the season they are 16th). That said, Charlotte has played a lot better defense since Michael Kidd-Gillchrist returned and held the Warriors offense to 75 points on 32 percent shooting — David Lee was 3-of-13, Stephen Curry 1-of-7 from three. That’s a good defens Against anyone. Charlotte’s defense led them to a 3-1 road record on this road trip.
Chicago Bulls defense. Indiana couldn’t do what the Bulls did Tuesday — drag the high-paced Suns team into the quicksand, turning the game into an ugly slugfest that favored them. The game wasn’t that slow — 102 possessions, which is nine more than the Bulls want per game, according to NBA.com numbers — but it felt slow and grinding, which is just how the Bulls want it. The Suns only shot 38.8 percent on the night, were 8-of-28 from three, shot just 48,4 percent inside 8 feet, and had an offensive rating of 98.4 (points per 100 possessions). Chicago’s style of play made the Suns uncomfortable.
Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves. Both the Kevins got off to a fast start for Minnesota — Love and Martin combined for 37 of the Timberwolves 68 first half points — but we will single out Love for his efficient all-around game. He had 31 points and 17 rebounds, plus he got to the free throw line 18 times. The fact he did that against the Lakers “defense” shouldn’t be held against him.
Al Jefferson, Charlotte Bobcats. Jefferson has often been overlooked when talking about guys who were snubbed for the All-Star Game and he had another big night — 30 points and 13 rebounds. He had 17 of those in the points in the second half, when you kept waiting for Golden State to put together a little run but Jefferson and Charlotte would always get the buckets that shuts down the runs.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28