Feb 5, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
When they got him this summer, Jared Dudley seemed like a perfect fit for the Clippers — he can stretch the floor as a three-point shooter, is a smart veteran and plays solid team defense.
The reality has been a less than perfect fit. Dudley’s three point shooting percentage is down (but still a very respectable 36.3 percent), and not only is his volume of shots and scoring down, he’s not getting rebounds or dishing out assists at his career pace. He has a PER of 8.9 this season. It’s been rough enough that Doc Rivers was willing to try bringing in Hedo Turkoglu and give him minutes (and so far he’s played well).
Combine all that with the looming trade deadline and guess whose name is coming up, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
I’m with Stein in that I still think Dudley can and should be a fit with the Clippers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
However he’s shown to be a solid player who is on a reasonable contract ($4.25 million for the two seasons after this one, the second year Dudley can opt out) so there is going to be interest out there.
Doc Rivers has seemed to realize this Clippers roster is in need of tweaks if he wants to compete with the Thunder and Spurs. He’ll be looking to move assets to get what he needs, and Dudley may well be the guy dangled as bait.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 0
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 7
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18