Feb 5, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
When they got him this summer, Jared Dudley seemed like a perfect fit for the Clippers — he can stretch the floor as a three-point shooter, is a smart veteran and plays solid team defense.
The reality has been a less than perfect fit. Dudley’s three point shooting percentage is down (but still a very respectable 36.3 percent), and not only is his volume of shots and scoring down, he’s not getting rebounds or dishing out assists at his career pace. He has a PER of 8.9 this season. It’s been rough enough that Doc Rivers was willing to try bringing in Hedo Turkoglu and give him minutes (and so far he’s played well).
Combine all that with the looming trade deadline and guess whose name is coming up, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
I’m with Stein in that I still think Dudley can and should be a fit with the Clippers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
However he’s shown to be a solid player who is on a reasonable contract ($4.25 million for the two seasons after this one, the second year Dudley can opt out) so there is going to be interest out there.
Doc Rivers has seemed to realize this Clippers roster is in need of tweaks if he wants to compete with the Thunder and Spurs. He’ll be looking to move assets to get what he needs, and Dudley may well be the guy dangled as bait.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12