Feb 5, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
The New Orleans Pelicans have plenty of talented players who play or have played point guard:
That’s why the Pelicans’ second-round pick, point guard Pierre Jackson from Baylor, signed to play in Europe.
But Jackson left his French team to be closer to his grandmother and is playing in the D-League instead. To be more specific, he’s playing very well in the D-League instead.
Jackson scored a D-League record 58 points for the Idaho Stampede on Tuesday. He shot 24-for-33 from the field, including 7-for-13 on 3-pointers and still chipped in eight assists with just two turnovers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This strong game alone does not mean Jackson belongs in the NBA. The previous record-holders were Morris Almond and Will Conroy, who each scored 53 points but never stuck in the NBA.
But Jackson is having a strong season, averaging 30.2 points, 6.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game. An explosive athlete with a strong scoring instinct and an impressive ability to run a team, Jackson is held back only by his height (5-foot-11) and contract status.
The Pelicans never signed Jackson, but they still control his rights. With a full roster, New Orleans can’t simply call him up.
But after last night, I can’t imagine Jackson’s trade value has ever been higher.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10