Feb 5, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
The New Orleans Pelicans have plenty of talented players who play or have played point guard:
That’s why the Pelicans’ second-round pick, point guard Pierre Jackson from Baylor, signed to play in Europe.
But Jackson left his French team to be closer to his grandmother and is playing in the D-League instead. To be more specific, he’s playing very well in the D-League instead.
Jackson scored a D-League record 58 points for the Idaho Stampede on Tuesday. He shot 24-for-33 from the field, including 7-for-13 on 3-pointers and still chipped in eight assists with just two turnovers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This strong game alone does not mean Jackson belongs in the NBA. The previous record-holders were Morris Almond and Will Conroy, who each scored 53 points but never stuck in the NBA.
But Jackson is having a strong season, averaging 30.2 points, 6.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game. An explosive athlete with a strong scoring instinct and an impressive ability to run a team, Jackson is held back only by his height (5-foot-11) and contract status.
The Pelicans never signed Jackson, but they still control his rights. With a full roster, New Orleans can’t simply call him up.
But after last night, I can’t imagine Jackson’s trade value has ever been higher.
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 6
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 6
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 4
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 7
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19