Feb 5, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
The New Orleans Pelicans have plenty of talented players who play or have played point guard:
That’s why the Pelicans’ second-round pick, point guard Pierre Jackson from Baylor, signed to play in Europe.
But Jackson left his French team to be closer to his grandmother and is playing in the D-League instead. To be more specific, he’s playing very well in the D-League instead.
Jackson scored a D-League record 58 points for the Idaho Stampede on Tuesday. He shot 24-for-33 from the field, including 7-for-13 on 3-pointers and still chipped in eight assists with just two turnovers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This strong game alone does not mean Jackson belongs in the NBA. The previous record-holders were Morris Almond and Will Conroy, who each scored 53 points but never stuck in the NBA.
But Jackson is having a strong season, averaging 30.2 points, 6.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game. An explosive athlete with a strong scoring instinct and an impressive ability to run a team, Jackson is held back only by his height (5-foot-11) and contract status.
The Pelicans never signed Jackson, but they still control his rights. With a full roster, New Orleans can’t simply call him up.
But after last night, I can’t imagine Jackson’s trade value has ever been higher.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16