Feb 5, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
The New Orleans Pelicans have plenty of talented players who play or have played point guard:
That’s why the Pelicans’ second-round pick, point guard Pierre Jackson from Baylor, signed to play in Europe.
But Jackson left his French team to be closer to his grandmother and is playing in the D-League instead. To be more specific, he’s playing very well in the D-League instead.
Jackson scored a D-League record 58 points for the Idaho Stampede on Tuesday. He shot 24-for-33 from the field, including 7-for-13 on 3-pointers and still chipped in eight assists with just two turnovers.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This strong game alone does not mean Jackson belongs in the NBA. The previous record-holders were Morris Almond and Will Conroy, who each scored 53 points but never stuck in the NBA.
But Jackson is having a strong season, averaging 30.2 points, 6.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game. An explosive athlete with a strong scoring instinct and an impressive ability to run a team, Jackson is held back only by his height (5-foot-11) and contract status.
The Pelicans never signed Jackson, but they still control his rights. With a full roster, New Orleans can’t simply call him up.
But after last night, I can’t imagine Jackson’s trade value has ever been higher.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 11
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23