Feb 5, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Dunleavy isn’t letting the feud end there, taking a couple retaliatory shots at Cousins.
Dunleavy, via Nick Friedell of ESPNChicago.com
“He called me a clown?” Dunleavy said after Tuesday night’s win over the Phoenix Suns. “I mean, I’d like to respond but clowns can’t talk. So (I can) mime or (give him) some animal balloons or something. Oh man.
“That’s the epitome of the pot calling the kettle black,” Dunleavy added. “But honestly I’ve never been called that before. I guess there’s a first time for everything. I don’t have much to say about him or that.”
“I think his reputation speaks for itself,” Dunleavy said. “He’s got a short fuse and is easily irritated so you can’t really breathe on the guy without him flipping out. That kind of stuff happens, he’s susceptible to that and probably will be for the rest of his career.”
I suppose most clowns don’t talk, but I don’t think that’s a rule, as Dunleavy suggests. The foremost authority on the subject I could find says clowns can talk:
Even disregarding Dunleavy’s mischaracterization of clowning, I’m still inclined to take Cousins’ side. He just brings way more fun for to the NBA.
For years, people have been telling Cousins to show more leadership. Now, he’s leading – exactly how he wants. Cousins is the Kings’ biggest star, and – for better or worse – he’s trying to inject his personality into the team. That’s what leading is.
Will this brash style of leadership be effective? Who knows. The Kings are lousy, but they don’t have the caliber of players to be much better.
By the time they do, maybe Cousins will have changed. He’s just 23. I don’t believe, as Dunleavy says, Cousins is destined to remain the same person forever.
But for now, I’m honestly enjoying Cousins’ take-no-prisoners style. He’s not always right – for the record, I don’t believe Dunleavy to be a clown – but the Kings center is playing by his own rules. I can appreciate that.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28