Mike Dunleavy responds to DeMarcus Cousins’ clown comment with off-base stereotype of clowns

Feb 5, 2014, 12:26 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins, Mike Dunleavy

DeMarcus Cousins called Mike Dunleavy a clown after the Kings beat the Bulls on Monday, the latest – but not first – run-in between the two.

Dunleavy isn’t letting the feud end there, taking a couple retaliatory shots at Cousins.

Dunleavy, via Nick Friedell of ESPNChicago.com

“He called me a clown?” Dunleavy said after Tuesday night’s win over the Phoenix Suns. “I mean, I’d like to respond but clowns can’t talk. So (I can) mime or (give him) some animal balloons or something. Oh man.

“That’s the epitome of the pot calling the kettle black,” Dunleavy added. “But honestly I’ve never been called that before. I guess there’s a first time for everything. I don’t have much to say about him or that.”

“I think his reputation speaks for itself,” Dunleavy said. “He’s got a short fuse and is easily irritated so you can’t really breathe on the guy without him flipping out. That kind of stuff happens, he’s susceptible to that and probably will be for the rest of his career.”

I suppose most clowns don’t talk, but I don’t think that’s a rule, as Dunleavy suggests. The foremost authority on the subject I could find says clowns can talk:

Even disregarding Dunleavy’s mischaracterization of clowning, I’m still inclined to take Cousins’ side. He just brings way more fun for to the NBA.

For years, people have been telling Cousins to show more leadership. Now, he’s leading – exactly how he wants. Cousins is the Kings’ biggest star, and – for better or worse – he’s trying to inject his personality into the team. That’s what leading is.

Will this brash style of leadership be effective? Who knows. The Kings are lousy, but they don’t have the caliber of players to be much better.

By the time they do, maybe Cousins will have changed. He’s just 23. I don’t believe, as Dunleavy says, Cousins is destined to remain the same person forever.

But for now, I’m honestly enjoying Cousins’ take-no-prisoners style. He’s not always right – for the record, I don’t believe Dunleavy to be a clown – but the Kings center is playing by his own rules. I can appreciate that.

1. stayhigh_247 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Cousins is a bonehead.

• usavebob - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Leadership isn’t about being outspoken. it’s about example setting; it’s about respect; It’s about your peers following you to reach a common goal. The Kings are in trouble if he is supposed to be the spokesperson or the locker room coach.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I circled March 15th on my calendar. The rematch.

2. fnc111 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Feldman, you look like a clown by defending loser boy Cousins.

3. sportsfan18 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I’m not sure of Cousins upbringing etc… but he is an idiot.

He has behavior problems. He’s been suspended by his team indefinitely due to his behavior, another time he was told not to travel with them on a road trip.

He’s had multiple, repeated issues with immaturity and piss poor behavior.

Yeah, we all hear about being young and immature then but a simple FACT is that very FEW NBA players are suspended indefinitely from their team and then in a separate instance told they won’t be allowed to travel with the team on a road trip.

I’m not saying that this has never happened to other players but it happens to a SMALL few.

That is how special Demarcus is.

Coach K and U.S.A basketball is well respected. Kobe sings Coach K’s praises. LeBron loves Coach K and on and on it goes.

Uh, Demarcus did NOT have such a good time at the U.S.A. basketball practice a while back.

They said he was immature and he was “stunned” by having someone say he was immature.

4. southsidegroovin281 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Duke Basketball > Kentucky Basketball (One and Done U)
    GO DUKE!

• asimonetti88 - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Psh, it’s all about USC basketball. We produced Harold Miner! and… Noodles Nick Young?

• stephenlin - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM

don’t forget orange juice mayonnaise! ;)

5. djlexluger - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

You siding with cousins makes you look like a clown. This guy is a bad teammate you don’t have to be an A hole to be a leader.

• bucsnsincity - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM

And you state that he’s a bad teammate based on? I’ve never heard any complaints from current or past teammates. Thus your assumtions make you look like an ass.

6. bhunter1995 - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Zebo used to be the same way that Cousins is. He will mature just give him time, hopefully he matures while he is still in his prime which is something zebo didn’t do.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches