Feb 5, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
After weeks and weeks of everyone clamoring for the Pistons to change their starting lineup, they’ve finally done it.
Arron Afflalo has given Caldwell-Pope trouble. In the 34 minutes they’ve shared the court this season, Afflalo is 12-for-17 for 29 points. And Caldwell-Pope was already on a short leash with Maurice Cheeks, getting pulled just two minutes into the Pistons’ loss to the Heat on Monday after Dwyane Wade worked him.
But Caldwell-Pope has been the Pistons’ best perimeter defender this season. Singler, who played more shooting guard last season, is just too slow to cover most shooting guards well.
In the 42 minutes Singler has played with Smith, Monroe and Drummond, the Pistons have yielded a whopping 125.0 points per 100 possessions. The lineup’s offensive rating of 86.8 is also awful.
That’s obviously a very small sample, but it only confirms the eye test. Singler is not cut out to defend starting shooting guards.
Caldwell-Pope has had issues against some of the league’s better twos, and that includes Afflalo. But the rookie is the best in a pool of imperfect options. When Caldwell-Pope joined the Pistons’ starting lineup, it went from horrendous to merely below average defensively.
That was at least progress.
There’s a chance Singler takes the Pistons further – and one game against the meager Magic won’t prove it one way or another – but this is not the significant change to their starting lineup many anticipated.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31