Feb 5, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
When Andrew Bynum was suspended then traded by the Cavaliers, many believed that whatever issues that existed were caused by Bynum himself.
That doesn’t excuse Bynum being a disruptive presence, of course, but for a player that needed more than a full year to rehabilitate from various injuries, it can be frustrating to be on a team with such little direction.
Once Bynum was waived by the Bulls, he became an unrestricted free agent and had plenty of teams initially interested. But after not being able to get on the court in Philadelphia and then seeing the way he exited Cleveland, it was going to take some convincing before another team was willing to step up and sign him.
After a three-hour dinner, the Pacers brass felt assured in adding Bynum to the roster. …
[Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard] said that during the Friday night dinner – which included team president Larry Bird and coach Frank Vogel — Bynum made quite the pitch to join the Eastern Conference-leading Pacers.
He made it perfectly clear,” Pritchard said during the radio interview. “He was like, ‘Look, I want to win a championship, I think I can really help you, and I want to fit in. I’m not coming here to let everybody fit in with me. I got to fit in with everybody else.’
“When he said that I think the thing changed.”
Bynum told Pacers’ brass exactly what they needed to hear, and with the team’s title window wide open, he was apparently convincing enough to make it worth giving him a shot.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 15
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 17
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30