Steve Nash to return, start for Lakers Tuesday night against Minnesota

Feb 4, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Steve Nash AP

So much for that whole “easing him back in” thing…

Steve Nash will not only be back and play for the Lakers on Tuesday night, he will start, coach Mike D’Antoni told the media, as reported by Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News. Nash will play the first 5-8 minutes of the game then sit the rest of the first half, then repeat that pattern for the second half.

Steve Blake also is back for the Lakers and will start. The starting five in Minnesota are Nash, Blake, Jodie Meeks, Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre.

“I’d Like Steve to warms up instead of sitting down and coming up,” D’Antoni said. “He’s always been a starter. If he can’t go, he can’t go and we’ll make adjustments.”

“That’s a big step that I got through some practices,” Nash said. “It is tenuous. I’m going to have to play some games to be a player and get some games under my belt to build the strength and confidence to protect the area. It’s tenuous. I’m not going to lie. If I can get through that window there where I put some games behind me, there’s a chance I can finish the season.”

“I love the game. I haven’t had a good run of it in LA and I want to be able to contribute,” Nash said. “It’s been one thing after another. Hopefully I can fight through this and get another opportunity to play well.”

Nash will sit out the back-to-back Wednesday when the Lakers head to Cleveland, for that game expect to see Jordan Farmar’s return. Farmar will suit up in Minnesota but is not expected to play.

D’Antoni’s rotation is now flush with guards, having those three back to join Kendall Marshall, who has played solid offense (if not much defense) for the Lakers. Even for D’Antoni and his desire to go small it’s going to be more bodies than minutes available, and we are going to see some interesting rotations.

The Lakers are without Pau Gasol (groin injury) for this week, while Kobe Bryant and his fractured knee remain out until at least the All-Star break.

1. pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Aww that’s cute, the whole Lakers backcourt returns on the same day haha

• 00maltliquor - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Still missing Kob’, Farmar and Henry. So not quite.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I guess you never heard of exaggeration. Look it up.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

U sensitive?

• Professor Fate - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

It’s painfully obvious why you’re “unpaid,’ although you do have the lack of punctuation down.

2. bougin89 - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

“The starting five in Minnesota are Nash, Blake, Jodie Meeks, Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre.”

*cringes*

3. 00maltliquor - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Gawwwd that starting lineup looks rough! **facepalm**
    Go Lakeshow!

• paleihe - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m sure that starting five strikes fear in the heart of at least one or two D-League teams.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Robert Sacre
      Ryan Kelly
      Jodie Meeks
      Steve Blake
      Steve Nash

This joins some of the other lineups this season as among the sorriest I’ve ever seen the Lakers trot out there. It looks like a Clippers lineup from the 90s.

4. sonnysuave - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Dantoni has got to be the WORST coach in the league! It’s obvious that Nash is no longer durable and injury prone, so why subject your starting lineup to constant change??? He can no longer produce at 40yrs old… he’s a 15min/gm role player at best. Learn from Vince Carter!

5. shuttaman1990 - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

D’Antoni is going to break nash again!

6. jammer73 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Look out West. The Lakers are winning it all man. C’mon man are kidding me? Get Nash back, Blake, and the Farmer…Whoa…nobody will be able to touch them. That’s a scary line-up man…opponents will have no way to match up with that line-up of studs.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Did anyone say they were going to?

7. delusionalcardsfan - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Sucks!

8. bjswoosh805 - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Why play Nash still? i think its best to just let the young players play.( Blake, Farmar and Marshall)
    Let them develope and with Nash he could mentor this guards. That kid Marshall has potential and with the right attitude,good work ethic and Nash guiding him thru the season he could flourish to a good PG.

9. rueg10 - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Dantoni clearly wants to get fired. Starting lineup needs to be… marshall, meeks, johnson, hill, kaman.

1 – Nash and Blake rotate in but Marshall has earned more than 20 mins per

2 – Nick Young. Blake or Johnson can also give Meeks a breather until Kobe comes back. Then Kobe starts and Meeks comes off the bench.

3 – Henry needs to start when healthy and Young backs him up… between 2 and 3 Yound needs 30 mins at least. Kobe can slide over too when they want to run Meeks with him. Johnson can’t shoot.

4 – Kelly can sub in. Gasol starter when healthy.

5 – Sacre should start. I’m not saying play more, but he’s a fan favorite. Kaman can rebound as needed, but Gasol can slide over too to give Kelly more run.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches