Joakim Noah fined $15,000 by league for “verbally abusing” referees

Feb 4, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT

The league frowns upon players telling referees they should go… you can pretty much watch Joakim Noah‘s overreaction above and guess what he was telling the referees to go do. His little rant came after he picked up a second technical and was tossed from the game Monday night, in both cases he got the tech for reacting to a call he didn’t like.

Tuesday the league came down with a $15,000 fine on Noah for the outburst, saying it was for “verbally abusing the officials upon his ejection.” Frankly Noah is lucky a Bulls official led him off the court quickly, then that he apologized after the game, or he could have been suspended.

Chicago was behind at the time of Noah’s ejection but came apart after that and was blown out 99-70 by Sacramento.

1. ihavenonickname - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM

seems about right. that was ugly.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Feb 5, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Stern would have suspended with his fu**ing smug smile. Bye mother*ucker.

2. asimonetti88 - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM

T-Mac signed with the Sugar Land Skeeters to pitch for them

• 2016olympics - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM

How is that relevant to this story?

• asimonetti88 - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

It’s not but they read the comments more than they do the email feedback.

• money2long - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM

@2016olympics
        he just wanted to throw us a curveball.

3. AndiMirandi - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I was at the game and literally laughed at Noah. I can’t believe that a grown man, “all-star”, would be behave in that manner.

• nofunleague - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM

then you suck too and must be ref material. Theme song….Three Blind Mice

• AndiMirandi - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Mature.

• reesesteel23 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Get used to it….this is how everyone acts when you have a different opinion.

• AndiMirandi - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I suppose you’re right. This is why I don’t typically comment.

4. phillyfan11 - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM

That reaction was not necessary, but foul that set him off to get the 2nd technical should never have been called. I saw no foul there.

• kinglorious - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM

It makes me wonder how you would’ve reacted had you been in his shoes. Have you ever played sports where the refs blatantly make bad calls consistently against you?

• mogogo1 - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM

How consistent is it? He only averages 3 fouls per game. He’s way too high-energy to not commit some fouls every game.

5. shanelsweet - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I’m more curious to see what the NBA does with that ref. Please don’t let him get off with that crap.

6. ProBasketballPundit - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I’m glad the NBA doesn’t have me mic’d up; I can’t afford a fine like that. It’s bad enough that I’m getting T’d up every ten minutes in NBA 2K14.

7. antistratfordian - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Noah didn’t have to react the way he did, but another problem here was the poor officiating that initiated it. One or more of these refs are going to get fined by the league. Sometimes the ref crews really just need to be slapped in the face.

8. logicalcomment - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

As much as i like basketball , this is why i watch it less and less

HOW THE F CAN THEY CALL THAT A FOUL ???? (before 2nd tech)

• hatesofties - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Calls like this, and flopping are the reasons why I don’t order League Pass anymore, and why I only really watch maybe 5-6 games a season now, instead of 70 or so. I really don’t think Joakim is that good, nor should he really deserve to be an all star (on top of the fact that any time you watch him in HD you are pretty much making sure your girlfriend will be completely put out of the “mood” due to his being the ugliest guy in the league), but these calls on him were completely bunk.

The NBA needs to toughen up their rules a little and the refs NEED to be invisible, not controlling the games.

9. nofunleague - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Good for him. NBA refs suck. Nothing but a bunch of cocky bastards that want to be the show. 15,000 is chump change. go Noah

10. ghelton03 - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Here’s a new concept. Let’s fine the ref’s when they make a terrible call. I am serious. It should be proportional to their salaries. Why are the ref’s off limits? Why does the NBA refuse to hold the ref’s accountable? Why does the NBA refuse to do anything to improve the officiating?

11. imthewiz77 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Terrible call. I feel bad for Noah, the team had championship aspirations at the beginning of the year and now his boy is traded and their star player is hurt. Meanwhile he still runs through a wall for his team. I’m sure there was more behind the outburst than just the terrible call.

12. ranfan12 - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM

LOL Cousins happy about that but he’ll drop f bombs faster than anyone if that happens to him

Sounds like Noah has fans all the way in Sacramento

13. theromeo2k - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:11 AM

I like Noah, but this was unacceptable. He is a man, he should know better and behave like one.

Now, I know the refs are human, but man they’re just calling every little nonsensical call they want. I’m getting sick and tired of these stupid calls. Refs should at least be fined for their irresponsible, game damaging calls. Just Fire them!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches