Feb 3, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Nick Calathes will start in Conley’s place, but the rookie is more of a shooting guard. The Grizzlies clearly need help at point guard if they want to remain hot and in playoff position.
Enter Darius Morris.
Griz announce Darius Morris signing. The 10-day contract will carry him until the All-Star break—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) February 03, 2014
Morris is an NBA-caliber player.
No team wants to keep him, but the league just can’t shake him.
The Lakers, despite stocking their roster with low-paid castoffs, let him walk this summer after two years with LA. The 76ers game him a contract, but waived him in November. The Clippers signed him to a couple 10-day deals, but once those expired, they declined to keep him through the end of the season.
Now, the Grizzlies will become Morris’ fourth team in the last calendar year. And due to Conley’s injury, they’ll almost certainly make him part of their rotation.
There’s a decent chance Morris will be seeking his fifth team once Conley returns, but in the meantime, he should give Memphis exactly what its seeking – a viable backup point guard who will keep the offense and defense from looking totally lost without the steady Conley.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 36
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 62
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 33
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 76