Feb 3, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Nick Calathes will start in Conley’s place, but the rookie is more of a shooting guard. The Grizzlies clearly need help at point guard if they want to remain hot and in playoff position.
Enter Darius Morris.
Griz announce Darius Morris signing. The 10-day contract will carry him until the All-Star break—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) February 03, 2014
Morris is an NBA-caliber player.
No team wants to keep him, but the league just can’t shake him.
The Lakers, despite stocking their roster with low-paid castoffs, let him walk this summer after two years with LA. The 76ers game him a contract, but waived him in November. The Clippers signed him to a couple 10-day deals, but once those expired, they declined to keep him through the end of the season.
Now, the Grizzlies will become Morris’ fourth team in the last calendar year. And due to Conley’s injury, they’ll almost certainly make him part of their rotation.
There’s a decent chance Morris will be seeking his fifth team once Conley returns, but in the meantime, he should give Memphis exactly what its seeking – a viable backup point guard who will keep the offense and defense from looking totally lost without the steady Conley.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43