Feb 3, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Jason Smith has not been the ideal complement to Anthony Davis along the front line in New Orleans this season — when the two were on the court together this season the Pelicans were -1 point per 100 possessions (and both the team’s offensive and defensive ratings were pretty close to the season averages overall for New Orleans).
However, he may have been the best option coach Monty Williams had — when Davis is paired with Alexis Ajinca the Pelicans are -11.5, when paired with Greg Stiemsma the Pelicans’ offense goes into the tank. (There is promise with Jeff Withey and Davis, they are +9.1 per 100, but the two have only played 71 minutes together all season.)
Notice we said had in that last paragraph — Smith is lost for the season in New Orleans following knee surgery, the team announced Monday. The surgery was to “remove a loose piece of articular cartilage in the non-weight bearing area of his right knee” and he should be back next season.
Smith had not played since Jan. 15 because of the knee. He averaged 9.7 points and 5.8 rebounds a game.
With the loss of Smith and Ryan Anderson for the season the Pelicans have been without two key cogs in their frontcourt — Davis and Anderson were showing real potential as a frontcourt pairing (+6 per 100 possessions).
At 20-26 the Pelicans are six games out of the playoffs in the West and not likely at all to make up the ground. Which maybe means it’s time to really see what Withey can do and let him learn some on the job. Aside that look for some Ajinca and Stiemsma, who have both played a lot of minutes up front in recent games.
The Pelicans have a nice team on paper but injuries just never really let it get a flow this season.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 24
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 27
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4