Feb 3, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Jason Smith has not been the ideal complement to Anthony Davis along the front line in New Orleans this season — when the two were on the court together this season the Pelicans were -1 point per 100 possessions (and both the team’s offensive and defensive ratings were pretty close to the season averages overall for New Orleans).
However, he may have been the best option coach Monty Williams had — when Davis is paired with Alexis Ajinca the Pelicans are -11.5, when paired with Greg Stiemsma the Pelicans’ offense goes into the tank. (There is promise with Jeff Withey and Davis, they are +9.1 per 100, but the two have only played 71 minutes together all season.)
Notice we said had in that last paragraph — Smith is lost for the season in New Orleans following knee surgery, the team announced Monday. The surgery was to “remove a loose piece of articular cartilage in the non-weight bearing area of his right knee” and he should be back next season.
Smith had not played since Jan. 15 because of the knee. He averaged 9.7 points and 5.8 rebounds a game.
With the loss of Smith and Ryan Anderson for the season the Pelicans have been without two key cogs in their frontcourt — Davis and Anderson were showing real potential as a frontcourt pairing (+6 per 100 possessions).
At 20-26 the Pelicans are six games out of the playoffs in the West and not likely at all to make up the ground. Which maybe means it’s time to really see what Withey can do and let him learn some on the job. Aside that look for some Ajinca and Stiemsma, who have both played a lot of minutes up front in recent games.
The Pelicans have a nice team on paper but injuries just never really let it get a flow this season.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31