Kevin Durant needed 95 tickets, 300 guest passes for friends to attend game against Wizards

Feb 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat Getty Images

Kevin Durant is from the D.C. area, and given how red-hot he and his Thunder have been as of late, the demand from friends and family to see him perform in person was at an all-time high when his team was in Washington to face the Wizards on Saturday.

The Thunder were riding a 10-game winning streak, and Durant himself had just completed a streak of scoring at least 30 points in 12 straight games, before it came to an end in a blowout win over the Nets.

So, just how many tickets needed to be secured? A ton, according to J. Michael of CSN Washington:

Durant, who is from D.C., requested and was given 95 tickets and 300 guest passes for family and friends.

And Durant seemed to realize just how ridiculous that was, via Ben Standig of CSN Washington:

“I spent a lot of money on tickets today. Imagine if I play here,” the former Montrose Christian star cracked. All around laughed, while waiting to see if the potential league MVP would provide an actual answer. He did, sort of.

“I haven’t given it any thought,” Durant said. “Growing up here, taking the train to down to Gallery Place, Chinatown to come watch these games as a kid, I never really thought about coming home to play. I love Oklahoma City. I love coming here and visiting. Hopefully…we can get a win tonight. That’s all I’m thinking about.”

Durant may have tried to focus on the game, but it’s easy to wonder if all of the requests became a bit of a distraction. He shot just 8-of-21 from the field and committed five turnovers as the Wizards snapped that OKC winning streak, beating the Thunder by 15 points.

1. seanb20124 - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM

What’s the difference between a ticket and a guest pass?

Also dude has a lot of fam/and hanger ons

2. knicksmets - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Man must have a lot of family. At least he only needs to play at D.C once a season because that would get expensive in a hurry. It’s too bad he didn’t put on a show.

3. rgledz - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Needy “family members”. Get your own tickets ya bums!

4. seanb20124 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM

What’s the difference between a ticket and a guest pass?

5. chiadam - Feb 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I don’t even know 95 people.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:15 AM

I do and I’m not even CLOSE to being famous! lol

• brutl - Feb 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

You’ll realize you know way more than that when you get married.

I had 70 family members at my wedding, and I didn’t even invite my mom’s 7 brothers and all of their kids. I would have had over 100 family members there!

• 00maltliquor - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I had to cut my wedding invite list DRASTICALLY, was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I had to scale it down to just 150 people. A LOT of people got left out.

6. shanelsweet - Feb 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Help me out all of you Lakers fans. Trevor Ariza is what happened to him. He’s beastly on defense and can run with Wall plus making those 3 point daggers. If I had a team that was trying to beat OKC or the Heat (which the Wizards have now down in the last couple of weeks at home), then I’d be looking to trade some picks and/or players to the Wiz for the services of Ariza just so I could stick him on Lebron and KD. I bet Ernie G. has a trade or too up his sleeve. The Wiz already have a healthy Martell Webster and a now healthy Otto Porter to throw at teams. They could use a killer backup PG ’cause Maynor has disappoiinted.

• eugenesaxe1 - Feb 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

You give Grunfeld too much credit.

• shanelsweet - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM

He got rid of the knuckleheads I could not root for after Arenas lost his mind. For that, he deserves kudos. This team is substantially better than it was just 2-3 year ago, and with a whole lot of hard working players that like each other and the organization. That’s not an easy thing to do. Props to Ernie, and I’ll forgive him for taking a chance that resulted in losing Rubio.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:21 AM

You’re right shanels. Ariza is having a dang good year too for the Wiz. It hurt seeing him go, but getting one of my all-time favorite players in Artest softened the blow. Ariza is in a good position. He’s shouldn’t have to be the man like they were trying to make him in HOU. And Maynor hasn’t disappointed, he just got hyped up waaay too much on here on this site. People started to believe in the hype.

7. eugenesaxe1 - Feb 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Durant and Wall on the same team would be fun to watch.

• shanelsweet - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Don’t forget Bradley and Otto. I’ve been preaching for a while now. Don’t sleep on the Wizards. There’s a lot to like about them. They play quick with Wall, and they can shoot.

• dshaffer31 - Feb 3, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I would love to forget about Otto Porter. He does not belong in the NBA.

8. sportsfan18 - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

ALL the more reason not to leave Oklahoma City (or at least NOT go to the Wiz ever…)

9. antistratfordian - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I guess he was distracted because that was one stinker of a game from KD.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches