Feb 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Kevin Durant is from the D.C. area, and given how red-hot he and his Thunder have been as of late, the demand from friends and family to see him perform in person was at an all-time high when his team was in Washington to face the Wizards on Saturday.
The Thunder were riding a 10-game winning streak, and Durant himself had just completed a streak of scoring at least 30 points in 12 straight games, before it came to an end in a blowout win over the Nets.
So, just how many tickets needed to be secured? A ton, according to J. Michael of CSN Washington:
Durant, who is from D.C., requested and was given 95 tickets and 300 guest passes for family and friends.
And Durant seemed to realize just how ridiculous that was, via Ben Standig of CSN Washington:
“I spent a lot of money on tickets today. Imagine if I play here,” the former Montrose Christian star cracked. All around laughed, while waiting to see if the potential league MVP would provide an actual answer. He did, sort of.
“I haven’t given it any thought,” Durant said. “Growing up here, taking the train to down to Gallery Place, Chinatown to come watch these games as a kid, I never really thought about coming home to play. I love Oklahoma City. I love coming here and visiting. Hopefully…we can get a win tonight. That’s all I’m thinking about.”
Durant may have tried to focus on the game, but it’s easy to wonder if all of the requests became a bit of a distraction. He shot just 8-of-21 from the field and committed five turnovers as the Wizards snapped that OKC winning streak, beating the Thunder by 15 points.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22