Feb 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Kevin Durant is from the D.C. area, and given how red-hot he and his Thunder have been as of late, the demand from friends and family to see him perform in person was at an all-time high when his team was in Washington to face the Wizards on Saturday.
The Thunder were riding a 10-game winning streak, and Durant himself had just completed a streak of scoring at least 30 points in 12 straight games, before it came to an end in a blowout win over the Nets.
So, just how many tickets needed to be secured? A ton, according to J. Michael of CSN Washington:
Durant, who is from D.C., requested and was given 95 tickets and 300 guest passes for family and friends.
And Durant seemed to realize just how ridiculous that was, via Ben Standig of CSN Washington:
“I spent a lot of money on tickets today. Imagine if I play here,” the former Montrose Christian star cracked. All around laughed, while waiting to see if the potential league MVP would provide an actual answer. He did, sort of.
“I haven’t given it any thought,” Durant said. “Growing up here, taking the train to down to Gallery Place, Chinatown to come watch these games as a kid, I never really thought about coming home to play. I love Oklahoma City. I love coming here and visiting. Hopefully…we can get a win tonight. That’s all I’m thinking about.”
Durant may have tried to focus on the game, but it’s easy to wonder if all of the requests became a bit of a distraction. He shot just 8-of-21 from the field and committed five turnovers as the Wizards snapped that OKC winning streak, beating the Thunder by 15 points.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 20
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16